Who should i have in the room when i deliver?

I originally wanted it to be just me & me husband but someone suggested i have my mother becuase its really helpful to have someone with you whos been through it before. I mentioned it to my husband & he was a little insulted, as he wanted it to be just the 2 of us. I'm not sure what i want because i thought it would be nice, just the 2 of us, but if i freak out, and he freaks out, it might be better to have my mother with me.

xoxemzgirlxox

Asked by xoxemzgirlxox at 9:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Ultimately it's up to you and hubby, but I know that having my mom and my sister there when I had my son was the best thing I could have asked for. They were very supportive and had been through it before so when I was yelling at them they didn't take it personally. My SO will be gone for this delivery also and I've again asked my mom to be there with me and will my sister also.
    urthat1chick

Answer by urthat1chick at 9:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• A side note also...I don't do well with crowds when I'm aggitated. At one point there were 11 friends and family in the room and finally just had to have everyone leave they were frustrating me. If your anything like that you may want to let it slip to a few people that you'd rather they wait til after baby born to visit. Sometimes less is more! lol
    urthat1chick

Answer by urthat1chick at 9:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It's up to you in the end, like the previous posters said. I'm having my boyfriend, my mom, and possibly my stepmom if the hospital will allow it. Both of them are nurses and my mom is going to be my labor coach and advocate in case the doctors want to do something...unnecessary.

Don't let anyone bully you! This is extra special for your mom for completely different reasons than it's special to your husband. It's not going to make his experience any less valuable if your mom is there for moral support. Tell your husband that, and tell him that your mom has been there before and knows what you're going through.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:59 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I had just me and my hubby the first time, and ofcourse the barrage of medical staff, and my midwife. Its was quite and calm.. I knew if my mother was there, it would have been a nightmare. This time around, I am doing hte same, except I am also havigna doula, and limiting the amount of medical staff as well.

Do what you want. If you feel you need your mom, sis, best friend.. whoever there to helo give support.. you damn well have then there, despite what anyone elses says. Thi is a huge deal... get all the love and support you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Def. up to you, but it was just me and my boyfriend and my mom came in as my ankles were being put into the stirrups, and i told her to get out, she would have driven me crazy, but as for the labor before i started to deliver, my MIL was in there and did a GREAT job getting me thru the contractions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Theres always a hallway, I kept my sisters and my sister n law, in the room with me, up until I was ready to push, and made all of them leave except my husband and father. So, if you want her there for support keep her there then when its time to push, she can exit. Because, I hate people bothering me, they are so nice when ur going to have a baby lol.
    MommaKee

Answer by MommaKee at 10:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• What ever you decide, make sure anyone in the room understands that if you ask them to leave, they have to immediately.
    With my first, I wanted both my sisters (one who had been through birth twice and one is a midwife), my mom and my husband. Since my son decided to be born at 2 am, my husband and my sister that is a midwife labored with me. I prepped my sister that I didn't really want her to be involved in the labor. But by the time it came to pushing, I felt bad that she was standing back in the corner out of the way and asked her to be closer. Things can change when you are in labor.
    Your husband will probably feel differently after the baby is born. My dh didn't want anyone there, not even waiting... but after Samuel was born, he wanted to show him off. :) He was a little sad that more people weren't there to see the baby.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:32 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i had many people, and i think this time i just want my husband and daughter to be there for the actual push.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2008