what do you do when you find an inappropriate text on your child's phone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Does she know the person she got it from, if not worry b/c not to long ago I saw a thing on the new about pediphiles going after kids via texts. They send a message out until they get a reply. scary.
    If she does then talk to her about it and let it be known how you feel and what is ok with you or not. Don't punish her just talk.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 9:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• take the phone away??
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 10:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I think texting is a privledge and not a right. It is just so common, even expected, to have a cell phone and the ability to text. At this point it is up to you as the parent. If my child had a cell phone I would set some ground rules. I would put limits on the amount of mintues and texts they can do. As well as the hours of when they can text and call people. The technology is there to do this. Also I would make it clear that while I respect his/her privacy that I have the right to monitor the activity. So I will check from time to time his/her texts. It is a privledge and it is also my job to keep my child safe. So as uncool as it is to have your mom check your messages randomly - its even uncooler to have sexual preditors prey on my teen. It is even uncooler to be suspended from school b/c my teen decided to text a naked pic of themselves. EWWW.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Get involved more in her life!!!! I took my sons phone away 1 year ago and I disconnected the house phone.  Hubby and I have cell phones only.

My son is not dating yet. Thank you LORD! He did tell me that one time he told a girl that his in Boot Camp and not Young Marines. So that she thinks he's a bad boy. MY LORD WHY??? do Girls want bad boys but later in life they WISH they had a GOOD MAN. I immediately spoke to him about this and I believe he understood about bad girls (trouble, drama, STDs)

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 11:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• a lot of companies will provide a text block service. just call to see if yours does. and put limitations on cell use. if it were me i would take his/ her phone away before bed. and give it back in the morning. trust must be earned
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 11:14 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Well if it's not the chils fault, find out who it is from and speak with the parents of that person. if it's initiated or welcomed or anything like that from your child, take the phone until they can conduct them selves properly, or take away the texting ability.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 12:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• have her start paying her own cell phone bill, or she has to STOP texting.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• depends, i would ask them about it and then tell them how it's totally inappropriate and talk to the other parent. or we text back the person personally and tell them who we are and that we don't like the text messages that they sent. they usually get embarrassed and are careful to avoid that again. my child would probably get grounded and phone taken away. also it's time to snoop but we tell them that we are going to.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i would confront the child who got it and also the child that sent it. i would let them know its not appropiate and not to do it again! im not sure of the context of the message,but if its that bad then have some consequences.
    j-hunt

Answer by j-hunt at 2:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Report it to the cell phone provider. Take it to the phone rep where you bought it. It's probably not your kids fault. You don't have a clue who had that phone number last before it became your child's number. It may be some sleaze had the number then changed it. The number went dormand then your child got it.

You can report the text to the carrier. Most carriers can trace it. They can also block that sender.
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 10:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2008