Why do you believe what you do?

were you brought up in your faith or did you seek it out on your own?

shivasgirl

Asked by shivasgirl at 3:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• In effort to assuage doubts in my Christian faith, I began reading the bible and doing serious research. In do so, I inadvertently put myself on the path that eventually led to finding my faith. I have practiced yoga for years, and because of that I began reading about both Hinduism and Buddhism to learn about yoga in its spiritual aspects. I related to both faiths/philosophies, but when I read about Vedanta, I knew I'd found my path. It is everything I've inherently believed about spirituality, inter-connectedness, the universe, and the divine.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• Buddhist, and no i wasn't brought up like it.

It encourages me to think, to rationalise, and to seek my own answers, because no-one else is me.

It's a name to what i'd always thought.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Both. In my twenties I studied  a lot of different religious philosophies and what I found is that most are very similar at their core. I follow my religion because I believe in love, charity, empathy and mercy. I think these qualities is what we  is what we should be striving for in ourselves. I also believe in the communion of saints. I believe we are all still connected to one another after death. I believe when we die we are souls are still alive.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was brought up a catholic, as a child I was a very devout one, until I found a priest who was drunk and demeaned me in a horrible way, then I realized these men of God were only humans much worse than some sometimes. I kept my believe in God and stayed away from any organized religion, my personal relationship with the lord has served me well over the years and to this day.

Answer by older at 8:03 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was raised Lutheran....sunday school, church, youth group, etc. Did it all.

I am and always was a spiritual atheist.

It's what my heart speaks.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am a Christian Universalist. Everything I believe I believe based on study, reflection, contemplation, and conviction. I'm constantly studying anything to do with religion.

I was raised in a Christian household, though encouraged to think and question and really decide for myself what made sense to me. My mother seemed more concerned with helping us find a passion for reasoning and understanding, allowing us to find our own truth, than she was with orthodoxy or dogma/doctrine. Being raised in a home where other religions weren't seen as "wrong", I was able to objectively study and understand them in a way that allowed me to find a connection with each of them, though I understand I "see" them through a Christian lens/understanding. After finding that connection with other faiths, I found Christian Universalism, which allowed me to retain my Christian identity without rejecting my unorthodox understanding. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was raised Lutheran....sunday, church, youth group, etc...Even raised my
    2 dd's Lutheran.. It never felt or fit right...even after trying other Demons.

I am and always was a Wiccan (ish) - Witch...
    I follow the basics of the Wiccan Religion and draw from other Pagan paths..
    And I practice the Art of the Craft...

This feels and fits right for ME...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Science and logical reasoning won out for me when I was in my early 30s.

I was raised a Protestant.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:39 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was brought up christian, but when I followed the path of logic and evidence it DIDN'T end up with god. There wasn't enough proof ANYWHERE, so I ended up an atheist. Who does witchcraft because it works for me and who believes in spirits, including angels.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:46 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I simply follow my heart, continually seek out knowledge & have some common sense.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2011