4. Did you know?

Garrett Morgan

Garrett Morgan 1877-1963

Gas Mask and Traffic SignalOn July 25, 1916, Garrett Morgan made national news for using his gas mask to rescue 32 men trapped during an explosion in an underground tunnel 250 feet beneath Lake Erie. Morgan and a team of volunteers donned the new "gas masks" and went to the rescue. After the rescue, Morgan's company received requests from fire departments around the country who wished to purchase the new masks. The Morgan gas mask was later refined for use by U.S. Army during World War I. In 1914, Garrett Morgan was awarded a patent for a Safety Hood and Smoke Protector. Two years later, a refined model of his early gas mask won a gold medal at the International Exposition of Sanitation and Safety, and another gold medal from the International Association of Fire Chiefs

The first American-made automobiles were introduced to U.S. consumers shortly before the turn of the century. The Ford Motor Company was founded in 1903 and with it American consumers began to discover the adventures of the open road. In the early years of the 20th century it was not uncommon for bicycles, animal-powered wagons, and new gasoline-powered motor vehicles to share the same streets and roadways with pedestrians. Accidents were frequent. After witnessing a collision between an automobile and a horse-drawn carriage, Garrett Morgan took his turn at inventing a traffic signal. Other inventors had experimented with, marketed, and even patented traffic signals, however, Garrett Morgan was one of the first to apply for and acquire a U.S. patent for an inexpensive to produce traffic signal. The patent was granted on November 20, 1923. Garrett Morgan also had his invention patented in Great Britain and Canada. Garrett Morgan stated in his patent for the traffic signal,

emilysmom1966

Asked by emilysmom1966 at 3:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in

• Cool bit of American history. Thanks for sharing!!
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 3:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I did know. He was from cleveland, all clevelanders grew up knowing this man's name and accomplishments.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Me too, jewjewbee - I lived in Cleveland for several years, my kids told me all about him.

What a great man!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Wow, thanks for sharing. Learning something new every day.
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 7:13 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• yes, one of my students studied him during inventors week in Sept-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I did not know that. How interesting! Keep posting these--they are fascinating!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I didn't know this. Thanks for sharing.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• no
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:05 AM on Feb. 14, 2011