Groceries??

how much is your weekly grocery bill?? what eating style does your family have?? We spend $100 -$200 a week and we all eat pretty healthy but Im still a bargain shopper..My man said we spend to much but I dont know how to cut back anymore than I already have..so curious on other families...

socalikim

Asked by socalikim at 3:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I'm not sure what our bill is anymore because we tend to just buy groceries for the day or next 2 days.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I could make 200 bucks last two weeks or more.. with two adults, a teen boy and a young boy. Trick is to get a good stock of things to begin with. I make a LOT from scratch, but not everything. I have other things to do besides cook, LOL! Find a few meals you can make that call for just a few ingredients... like baked mac n' cheese, veggie soup, spaghetti. Cook BIG batches of it and EAT THOSE LEFTOVERS! Don't waste food, freeze what you're not going to eat immediately. PM me if you want more ideas. :)
    PadmeJonez

Answer by PadmeJonez at 3:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We spend about $150 give or take every two weeks (the weeks we get paid, haha). We try to plan meals, and buy what we need for those rather than just buy random food, and that helps. And usually, when I actually do cook, I try to make enough so there is some left over, and dh and I take those to work with us for lunches.
    purderil

Answer by purderil at 4:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I do alot from scratch and freeze alot too!! I need to get a costco card or something..my man HAS to have meat in the meal too which can be frustrating as well because meat is expensive
    socalikim

Comment by socalikim (original poster) at 4:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• There are three of us, plus frequent extra teens. We eat a mostly organic, whole foods based diet. We average $80 a week for groceries.

Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

cont

• Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner. Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

• I spend a little over 200. and I am a vegetarian, and I also buy meat for my son and mom who aren't. I clip coupons too, it is a habit I have, but I really have no budget for food.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I shop almost European style. I have some basics in the fridge and pantry but shop for the meats and some other things several times a week.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2011