When did you / do you plan to...

have the banana and condom conversation?

Asked by rkoloms at 5:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• yeah i never had that talk. the schools usually do it...well we had that talk in 5th grade.honestly if i had a daughter i would have that conversation when she starts her first period and since i have a son im not really sure when i should talk to him maybe when he was his first "wet dream"....
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 5:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would say about the same time the teens start entering middle school it should be the time to have the birds and the bees talk with your teenager, for I have seen many 12 and 13 year old parents where I come from.. It would be better to have the talk then to find out that your going to be a grandparent
    Marine_Wifey89

Answer by Marine_Wifey89 at 6:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Also go about it as easy and comfortable as possible, cause teens tend to get a little uncomfortable when tallking to their parents about protection... Keep the converstation short and to the point.. If they have any questions they will come back to you and ask you
    Marine_Wifey89

Answer by Marine_Wifey89 at 6:56 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It's an ongoing conversation from the time they hit middle school. As far as the actual banana and condom, I've done tha when they first started getting serious about a bf. It's not only about showing them how to put a condom on safely but also taking it off safely.
    MommaKath1975

Answer by MommaKath1975 at 7:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I did it when my son was about 13.

Answer by older at 7:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My husband had the discussion with my son and I did the talk with my daughter. They also get it in school during health in middle school. My kids are very open about discussing sex.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I had the talk after watching a program on tv about teen sex. My oldest was around 13. But they know they can ask any question and i will answer. You have to let them know its not a taboo subject!
    taraniccole

Answer by taraniccole at 12:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It is a subject that should be an ongoing conversation from about 6 yrs old until forever. You cannot rely on the schools, it is the parents job to teach their children. I am very open about sex, etc with my son and he is comfortable talking to me about it. My son got the protection, abstience talk in 7th grade. When I was in school it was 11th grade...way too late seeing a few girls were already pregnant by then. Ignorance is not bliss.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2011