I messed up. I had a job interview and got lost finding it. If this happened to you?? How would you handle it??

I dont want to make excuses but I am new to the area, 5 months. I thought I had an idea where it was. Honestly, he didn't give me very good directions. I was driving around 2 hours trying to get there, made the mistake by not having hisa number and my cell on me at the time.nce I have driven aroundm it is on a long stretched out road in an industrial warehouse/business part of town out away from main paerrt of town. It is confusing!! I stopped off at 2 other businesses-one being a different location/same company of the one I applied to. I didn't call them until Monday to tell them what happened, the manager is out of town a few days I gave them my number and name and they said that he would call me when he got back!! I messed up didn't I!!! I am such an idiot to call them when I was lost.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• You can write off that position. Next time, use http://www.mapquest.com/directions

Answer by rkoloms at 6:14 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm going to guess that you will need to look elsewhere; not only did you not show up, you didn't call until the next week. It doesn't make you look very responsible. Mapquest is great. Better luck next time.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I know you feel bad already so I'm ot going to say anyting. What would you think if roles were reversed? Irresponsible, right? I'm sure other positions will come along. I dont need to tell you what to do. You already learnt ,the hardest way possible. Better luck next time ...and Chin up.
    whiskey80

Answer by whiskey80 at 7:14 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think you just need to take it as a lesson learned. Next time I would try to remember my cell phone and if nothing else I would print the directions off the internet. People make mistakes and get lost it is normal. I know for me sometimes if I don't know where I am going and I look at the directions and I am still unsure I will drive to the place before I have to go there. It can be a pain to do this, although when I actually have to be there I know exactly where I am going.

I will say atleast you called and explained what happened, which is a good thing. Try not to beat yourself up to much and just learn from this mistake!

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• This is why I love my GPS lol Sadly though, i would start looking somewhere else. Before I had my GPS though I had an interview downtown which is like a maze to me sometimes lol. What I did was the day before i drove out there are made sure I found the place and knew where I was going. That way I wouldn't get lost because I knew how easy it was for me to get lost downtown and end up driving in circles on one way streets.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Just chalk it up to a lesson learned. Next time, a) take the number with you in case you're lost, then you can call, b) make sure mapquest it and print it out just in case, and c) call them right away...don't wait!!!
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:14 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• This did happen to me once. I had their number and called them from the road. I got better directions that time from the receptionist.

Next time, take their phone number with you, make sure you know where you are going and there's no shame in telling the person you're unfamiliar with the area. Could be he gave you vague directions because he thought you were a local and knew your way around.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You might have lost the job, but I wouldn't give up that easily. Call them, explain what happened, see if you can reschedule the interview and for sure- drive by before the interview to see where it is at.

Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 6:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2011