How would I go about adopting a child??

My husband and I have been trying for 2 yrs to get pregnant and we have had NO luck what so ever... We are looking to adopt for our first child, and then work on conceiving our second, but we are not sure how to go about it. How long does the process takes and how much fees would be.. We are a Marine Corp family that just got stationed in New Orleans... Any advice would greatly be appreciated, links and etc....

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Adoption

• if you want, add me to your friends list and we can chat.my husband and I are adopting rigjt now, I can help you out.
    OurHeartsAwait

Answer by OurHeartsAwait at 6:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Adopting a child is not the same as having your own genetic children.
    Adoptions should never be a replacement or a stop gap measure for your own children.

Read, read books written by adult adoptees especially.
    The primal wound by Nancy Verrier,
    Twenty things Adopted kids wished their adoptive parents knew, by Sherrie Eldrige are a good start.

Firstly, you need to know exactly what the issues are, and to learn about the agencies. Learn about the good ones and the bad ones, and know the difference between the agencies who help women make their own descisions, and the agencies who basically buy and sell children.

If you are planning on conceiving, deal with that first.

Adopting shouldn't be a second choice.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:08 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I kinda agree with Pixie on this. For me adoption was always a choice we knew we were going to go through with. We have had two of our own and even if we didn't it was in our plan from the beginning. I think that you are born knowing if you can handle being a parent of an adopted child. Not that I am trying to talk you out of it but just be sure you definitely want this child before bringing her or him into your family. Does that make sense?
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 2:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes, I agree with Piskie as well. Consider adopting from the foster care system once you are ready.
    Southernroots

Answer by Southernroots at 2:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If you want to know more about adoption through foster care, here is a link for your state. It varies state to state.

http://www.dss.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&pid=195  

The nice thing about fostering and/or adopting through the state is the support system you gain from training , the mentoring from those who have done it longer (easing fears, giving hope), and the availability of resouces for the children. especially if they have special needs. It made all the difference to us when we adopted our son.

I agree with those who say that you need to work through your infertility issues before you adopt. Research, research, research & Good luck!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2011

• Check out Adoption Voices, it's a great website for families with alot of support, and great resources as well, chatting with people in your similar situations it really helps. Feel free to look me up Kath Brownie on Adoption Voices.
    It's important to take some time to grieve your infertility as well, as that is such a big loss to you and your husband, just be sure you are ready to move on. Adoption is a big step and a very emotional process just be prepared for that. My thoughts are with you and I am here to chat if you would like, I would like to get to know you better.
    kbrownie101

Answer by kbrownie101 at 4:02 PM on Feb. 21, 2011