Why is Auto Insurance So Expensive in Kentucky?

We just moved to Louisville from Cleveland, Ohio, and generally speaking the cost of living is less expensive, except for car insurance. It increased $420 for a 6-month policy! Crazy. My agent said that it was because KY had higher requirements for liability/uninsured drivers, just wondering what your take was on it.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 6:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• Louisville here too, I pay $1250.38 every 6 months for 3 cars, 1 has liability only because it's paid off and not worth anything, 2 with full coverage but set at the state min. AND with a $1000 collision deductible. Let me also add I have never had any tickets, never even been pulled over, I had one minor accident in 2003. It's ridiculous. I have shopped and shopped every company imaginable year after year and it's just high. I even have my homeowners with the same company (KY farm bureau, if you haven't tried them I highly recommend getting a quote. they have saved everyone i know money on their insurance...no i don't work there either lol) I'm very nervously waiting to see whats going to happen now that dh totalled one of our cars in the recent snow storm. it wasn't his fault but our rates will suffer just the same. grrrr
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• that reminds me of the shock we got when we first moved to MS, which was higher than VA. And phone rates at that time were also sky high.
    We were basically told by the residents that the people who do pay make up for those who do not. MS had alot of people uninsured at the time or carrying only liability.
    it may be that the requirements are higher, GA has higher requirements for homeowners insurance than MS but the same for auto.
    420 over 6 months is ALOT, I think they may be overinsuring you. I pay a little more than that to cover 5 vehicles for 6 months. Take a good look at your policy numbers and coverages, I would guess they have your amounts topped out.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19838230/

One of the biggest scams is to cover you for the cost of someone else's car. And often they will list the value of that car at around 75K. How many cars do you see driving around with that value? And...what is the likelihood that you will be the one to total it? You would almost have to total out someone's house to be covered for the premiums you paid in that past. Also, towing, medical, windshields are  a big waste. What you save in premiums would pay for those costs if and when you get into an accident. I wish I had my guide for this, but it's in storage. lemme google around today and see what I can find for ya.

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Oh yeah, insurance is definitely one of the biggest legal scams that was ever created. they operate on fear.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thank you jewjewbee! I didn't even get any crazy coverage; the only extra is "pay off" coverage for my truck - and it's only $16. (Well worth it.) I believe it's set at the minimum requirements for the state, but I took the agent's word for that. (Pretty stupid when I think about it.) I'm going to guess you're right about it being higher because of the number of uninsured drivers - those who pay do pay for those who don't. I'd like to find out that I'm overinsured, it's just offensive to pay that much for insurance.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 7:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thank you Astrea! I'll look into them. Ours is $1100 every 6 months for 2 cars full coverage with $500 deductable. We're with Progressive now.

I hope your insurance doesn't go up too much because of the accident! That really sucks.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 8:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2011