Decorating a HUGE Wall? Updated with pic

My family room is off our foyer, at one end is a fireplace flanked by two big windows, the other end is open to a breakfast nook in the kitchen and a wall of windows. When you walk into the family room, the wall facing you is 15' high and 25' long. (It ends at the hallway to our bedrooms). I can't figure out how to fill up the space. Big pictures? A large clock with smaller pictures? (I saw one in Ballard Designs that's an open antique-looking one, 3' across.) Walls are a grayish khaki, ceiling/crown molding is white (as is the fireplace). Floors are oak. Furniture is tan sectional, brown rocker, and red pillows.

Here's a pic, it's not my furniture, but it gives you an idea. I'm not afraid of anything, but this wall is scary to me. I'm not a fan of how the previous owner had it decorated (the wall on the left).

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 6:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Large architectural photos. You take your self in black and white around town and then have them printed large and frame large....you can even find elements that SPELL out family, or dream etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:42 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Personally, I am a minimalist. I do not care for clutter (including pix on a wall, etc). Were *I* having to decorate, I'd throw up an accent color (perhaps a dark crimson) and put a single showpiece in the center of the wall... Something I loved.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• twinsplus2more's idea is pretty much what I would suggest. I saw three framed, black and white prints of Italy that I liked at Crate and Barrel. They were $179 each. My husband and I have been to Italy, so I went through our photos, uploaded three to shutterfly, had them printed in black and white with a rough edge and in 11x14 size. Then I took them to Micheal's and had them framed. The total cost was probably about $300 and that was with the nice anti glare glass.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• That's a neat idea, twinsplus2more - our downtown is gorgeous. (I've seen pics sold with architectural elements that spell out something, doing it myself would be really cool.)
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 8:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2011