Deployments... I need help!

It's been 3 years since we've been through a deployment, this deployment #3 for us but we now have 2 young children and this deployment is so much harder than the other two. I miss him more than I ever missed him before if that makes any sense, I'm lonelier but I have two extra little people home with me, I'm way sadder but we're better off now than we were ever before. I need help! Any advice to help get through this in one piece?

marine_wife0520

Asked by marine_wife0520 at 6:56 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Find things to occupy your time. Read books, join play dates or do something that would make the days feel like they're going by quicker. I'll admit, I haven't experienced a full deployment...at most 2 wks at a time is what I've dealt with while having four kids in tow. I just keep busy and keep track of the days. I keep skype open at all hours just in case and just entertain myself and the kids. Take plenty of pictures, make a scrapbook, take video of the kids while he's gone so he has something to experience later once he gets back. Hang in there. Things will go by quickly before you know it and he'll be home again to catch up on what he missed. Do what you've done before...you're just adding more kid activities to the mix. As to what to do to keep the kids from missing daddy...I wish I knew what to say on that. -Hugs-
    Imortlmommy

Answer by Imortlmommy at 7:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• having friends helps so much! We just went through our 2nd deployment and it was made even harder because we are stationed in Italy so I had NO family! I made a lot of friends and just making sure to get with ladies who all know what your going through helps, because there is nothing worse than a chick who doesnt know what your going through trying to tell you she understands. Also getting out of the house, staying busy, do a lot of activities with your kiddos. My 3yo was in soccer, tball, little picasso, creative movement, every family activity post had we made sure to go to. stay busy and the time will fly
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think you need to contact with other army wives that have children who's husbands are deployed. Also, if you have family around contact them and see if they can come and visit for a few days. I know my sister had a hard time when her husband went away this time as well. I think because now you have children so not only are you a single parent and worried about them, you also worry about your husband. I also know that my sister found a local college student to baby sit one night a week. She would go to the gorcrey store or to dinner with friends, anything to get out of the house for an hour or two.

I think your stress level is probably higher this time because of the kids. If nothing else seems to work then I would consider looking into therapy. It might be nice to talk to someone and get rid of some of your stress.

Good Luck and hang in there!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I DID IT FOR 20 YEARS, MY ONLY ADVICE IS KEEP WRITING TO EACH OTHER AND DO THINGS WITH OTHER WIVES WHO ARE LONELY. IT IS NOT EASY BUT AS I WAS TOLD THIS IS MY JOB. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU. gamblingjmom@verizon.net
    poopsi

Answer by poopsi at 2:10 PM on Feb. 16, 2011