why would you do this?

Most smart women I know wouldn't drive a car without knowing how to first. So why do millions of women attempt to give birth without being educated on the choices they make? Why are we so accepting of sticking things into our spine or having major abdominal surgery without question? Birth is a natural process that western medicine has turned completely unnatural. I know complications can arise, but a lot of times, we are lied to about these for the sake of our doctors conveninece. I was. Big time. I wish I would have had someone smart to educate me for my first birth... If someone offered their help, why wouldn't you listen? Why not take back this natural process for yourself, and do things the safer way nature intended?? I want real answers here.. not just a backlash of ''women make their own choices'.. i know that.. why not be smart women and make smarter choices then?...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Theres nothing wrong with not wanting to experience all the pain, yeah it can be bad for you, but there can be complications with completely natural births as well. It really is the mother's choice. But I agree with you on being educated before the choice is made.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Pain isnt fun.. I know. I have passed 12 kidney stones.

There are complications with natural birth, but NOT AS MANY AS WHEN MEDICAL INTERVENTION IS INVOLVED. In Europe, most women still homebirth with midwives... in USA, most women birth with medical intervention.. and WE have the highest rate of infant/ mother mortality in the world.. hmmmm.. makes you wonder...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Personally I learned the hard way. I chose to have an epidural with my son and that was the worst mistake I could have made. The doc screwed it up and I felt everything on my left side and ended up with a spinal headache. I couldn't lift my head up more than 2 inches without feeling like it was going to explode. Had someone told me that was a possibilty I might have changed my mind. I will not do it again unless I have to have a c section and refuse to be forced into it. All natural all the way!
    urthat1chick

Answer by urthat1chick at 10:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Knowledge is power. I read so much and asked so many questions with my first, that even though it was scary, it was manageable. With my second, I am so excited to give birth. My only fear is that it might not be as great as the first.
    I agree that more women need to know what they are getting into instead of going in blind. That and I hate the phrase, "If my doctor says so, then it must be fine." I question my doctor all the time and he encourages it. I think if a doctor makes you feel bad for questioning them, they are hiding something.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 11:19 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I couldn't agree more, In fact I am 10 weeks pregnancy and planning an unassistedbirth myself. The US has HORRIBLE maternity care and it appears to be getting worse, I hate that MOST women spend more time worrying over what nursery set to buy than they do about their own birth. Apparently it is just a means to an end for them, I can't figure out if they are lazyor stupid because I can't imagine any well-imformed  intelligent women allowing some of the routine things to happen to her that happen to women everyday like pitocin and episotomies.. and if they did I don't know that they deserve to have children if they care so little for them, they won't drink...GOD FORBID but please pump me full of drugs with horrible side effects... It is appalling

Forget-me-not

Answer by Forget-me-not at 11:20 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• It's our culture. Most people just go with tide, and give over all of their rights and responsibility to their docs. Docs use more intervention because you have to sign that you understand the risk. Once you sign, they become less liable. They are left wide open in natural births. The irony is there may be less risk for the doc when intervention happens, but the risk for the mom escalates. People don't think it through...they just sign. If more folks would parent before their child emerges from the womb, the state of pregnancy in this country would be way better.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 11:23 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• just because someone chooses to have an epidural does not mean they aren't smart or educated. we all know our own pain tolerance adn what we are comfortable with. I had an epidural....but I did a lot of research about it first. I knew the pros, cons, risks, rewards.
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 11:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Never said that women who choose to get an epi are not smart or uneducated.. but I cant imagine why someone would still choose to get one after knowing the risks.. JMO.
    Anonymous

• I feel the exact same way as the person who posted this question. I was EXTREMELY lucky with #1. I was given a list of doctors/midwives that took Medicaid. I picked the first one on the list.... it happened to be a birth center that gave no option for medication, and did not deliver in the hospital. I learned so much from my pregnancy experience, and it really motivated me to pursue a career in midwifery (didn't know what a midwife was until the first time I went to the birth center)

I am giving a poster presentation in 2 weeks on how Cesarean section is less healthy for babies immune system, and I plan on doing a lot more research in the future. Good Post though
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I'm not going to have the epideral, the only reason I'm even going to a hospital is in case of any problems that could go wrong and might need the help of a medical doctor.
    Kali_deathangel

Answer by Kali_deathangel at 2:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2008