ChickenPox, what would you do??? option A or option B?

Scenario: Your 2 year old is playing at a public park with another child and sharing toys. You notice after a while that that child has chicken pox. You, option A: freak out, grab your kid and run. OR option B, figure he will get them eventually and let him keep playing; knowing they have the risk of catching it? I chose option A. Or at least thats what insinct I had.

cloud144

Asked by cloud144 at 7:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I would not do either option. I would ask the parents if the child really has chicken pox! If they did then I would probably ask the parent to take their child home because they are contaminating everyone else and then I would call my doctor and ask what their thoughts were. If the parents were not sure or could not tell me what their child had then i would suggest they call the doctor as well.

My son has severe eczema and at times, when he was little people thought he had all kinds of things.  I had to explain that he was not contagious and that he just had eczema.

cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with cornflakegirl3 because my daughter is allergic to mosquito bites and sometimes looks like chickenpox
    but if I knew for sure it was chickenpox I think I would go with option A
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 7:43 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• id go with option A, but try to be subtle and polite about it :)

i would hope though that people wouldnt bring their child to the park if they have chicken pox!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Option b, it is better they catch this when they are young.

Answer by older at 7:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Isn't it better if a child gets the chicken pox when they are younger rather than older? The chicken pox go away in about a week, the child will be miserable, but will most likely not remember much about it.

My concern right now would be my DH. He has never had the chicken pox. So if my DD2 brings it home, I'll have a fussy baby and a cranky DH. I think after an exposure I would send him home to his mom til the infection is gone. Besides, now with the vaccines, the infection would not be as bad as when we were kids. So, I think I would do a combination of B and conflake's suggestion.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 7:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would def ask the parents before giving anytype of reaction, because you can never be certain unless you ask. If they tell you yes the child has chicken pox then politely ask them to take there child home, and if that doesnt work I would grab your things and your child and leave the park. Keep an eye on your child to see if he starts to develop any type of sympthoms
    Marine_Wifey89

Answer by Marine_Wifey89 at 7:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would choose option B and let my kid play with the other kid. My daughter got chicken pox the day we were to close on our house. My son ended up getting the chicken pox vaccine. I don't trust the vaccine. My sister, a 4th grade teacher, has had kids in her class that even with the vaccine has still gotten chicken pox. It is supposed to be a milder form of the disease but she has had 2 separate students hospitalized even with the vaccine. To get chicken pox as an adult can cause sterility.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 7:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I personally would want my child to get chicken pox; I don't trust the vaccine (research why it was developed in the first place - has nothing to do with the pox being a dangeras much as it was developed so businesses would not lose productivity when moms have to stay home with a sick child). An infected individual would actually be contagious before you would notice any of the spots so your kid would be OK.

Anybody remember pox parties of years ago? Would love to find one of those taking place ...
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would go with option A because I cant stand seeing my kids sick.

Answer by gemgem at 8:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• B - because my children are vaccinated against Chicken Pox. Even if they weren't, I would allow them to continue playing - odds are they were exposed before I noticed the other child had "the pox."
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:16 AM on Feb. 9, 2011