How to handle a teen boy with anger issues?

My 16 yo son has anger issues. Refuses any help I try to get him. Is disrupting the household. Rude vulgar language. Dad is no help! His philosophy is let him do what he wants so he doesnt throw a tantrum. I am ready to throw in the towel.

taraniccole

Asked by taraniccole at 8:15 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Never throw in that towel!!!! find out the source of the anger any way you can and go from there.

Answer by older at 8:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I also think that would help too.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• never throw in the towel? older no offense but i know what she is going through and its like its a lost cause. you can do everything you can think of and half the time it just makes it worse. i am in the same boat and many many times i have said i just give up theres nothing i can do. i have suggested counseling and he says if i make him go he will run away and trust me he will
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Somebody needs to find out why he is so angry. Once the source is dealt with, the symptoms will go away.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• He is in sports! And I cant find the root of the problem when he just shuts me out! This has been going on for well over a year. Early last year he hit me, rupturing my ear drum and fracturing my jaw bone. He was put on probation, not that its helped!
    taraniccole

Comment by taraniccole (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Go to family counseling, talk to your son and your husband about the situation... Send your son to military school, have him take anger management... NO parent should have to deal with a disrespectful teenager, either smash the whole thing or get stepped on the rest of the time!!!! I dont know what is up with teens these days and why they feel the need to be so rude and nasty to there elders let alone there parents... Goodluck
    Marine_Wifey89

Answer by Marine_Wifey89 at 8:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My son is 14- and we have started taking him to get help- last night was his 2nd appt and he was SO pissed but I made him go and apparently once he got there- he actually did talk and was even in a better mood afterwards.
    I would suggest that you find a way to get your son to see someone- there are probably things he needs to work through and at the very least they can help him with other ways to express/ cope with anger

good luck with this hun
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:33 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• FAMILY counseling and if my son hit me as hard as yours did, he would NOT be allowed back in my house. Your son needs help before he ends up in prison because he has no idea how to control his anger. Your husband needs to grow up and act like a parent. Your son is acting like he is because he is allowed to by his father, the MAN that should be teaching your son how to act.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm right there with you, he hasnt' hit me yet, but there's been close calls. I am in the process of finding a shrink, but they've never helped in the past. Part of me keeps looking forward to when he goes off to college. I'm divorced and his dad is useless, so I get no help there, either.

Good luck and be safe
    autbot

Answer by autbot at 9:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Call the Boystown national hotline. Also talk to your local police department, explain the situation and see what can be done to get him in juvy for several months on the next offense.
    purplerobin

Answer by purplerobin at 3:19 AM on Feb. 19, 2011