Mastitis

I have mastitis and I was wondering if the antiobiotics will help get rid of the lump in my breast?

cmcook89

Asked by cmcook89 at 8:18 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask your doctor.

Answer by older at 8:20 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I hope you've seen the doctor. mastitis can be serious. I had it. Although it's a little painful, continue to bf, it won't hurt the baby at all, but it will help you. without bf-ing, those plugged milk ducts can just become worse. Also, and i know it sounds weird and gross, but it REALLY WORKS...get a head of cabbage, rinse off the leaves in the sink, and freeze them. use one frozen leaf on the breast (or both). Use an old bra you can throw away. Do this for about a day or two, until the pain goes away or you just feel better. Both my obgyn and my lacatation consultant recommended this, and though it's stinky, it made me feel so much better. The cabbage has anti-inflamatory properties.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• No, the anti-biotics will get rid of the infection, but the lump... the clogged duct that caused the infection, needs to be cleared by baby. Keep nursing. Massage that breast and try several different positions to nurse in to try and stimulate that duct to unclog.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:37 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• yeah, i had mastitis and the only thing that helped was pumping through the pain, hot hot showers, massaging it (i swear if someone say me they would have asked what i am doing)and cabbage leaves
    lisaslab

Answer by lisaslab at 4:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011