Where is the line between doing right by your child and over protecting them?

My 9 year old boy has always been small for his age and not athletic, he calls himself a computer geek with pride, however, going to school is hard on him because he gets picked on everyday and he says that there is only 2 kids that like him in his whole class. I homeschooled last year and he was surrounded by wonderful homeschooled kids and thrived, we only put him back in ps because of our financial needs for me to work, the ps school is full of bad influences on him including 3rd grade boys trying to go on the "girls gone wild" website at school!.... i just feel it's not a place that is good for him. But at the same time I don't want to be too over protective... any thoughts?

1organicmom

Asked by 1organicmom at 8:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• Geeze where are these schools at?
    My son is 9 and in 3rd grade and I've never had any of these problems. He's never been picked on (and he's far from athletic although he tries and enjoys sports even if he sucks at them) and is friends with everyone in his class, including all the girls. I think the worst thing I've heard is some boy in his class supposedly got suspended for threatening the teacher (supposedly...that was his story, who knows what really happened).
    Not sure what I would do in your situation. I could never handle homeschooling so it would never be an option for my kids. I think homeschool would be ideal if it worked and you had that good group so he had friends and all the social experiences but if you have to work than you have to work.
    Just teach him to be strong and stay away from the bad influences and hope he find the strength in himself like we all did before homeschooling was even in our vocab.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If you have to work, you have to work. So he's going to have to go to school. Are there just a few "bad" kids (every school has them) or do you think it's honestly not a good school? If it's just a few "bad" kids, let him go. Having 2 friends is not the end of the world (it's more than I had at that age), and he could still hang out with his homeschooled friends after school. But if it's just a bad school (and some are truly awful), are there any other options? Private schools? Charter schools? Could you move into a better district? My parents actually moved us into a better school district because the high school where we used to live was pretty bad, and I think it was one of the best things they ever did for us. I still was never all that popular and I would still occasionally get picked on because I was shy and nerdy, but gradually I learned to deal with it and find my way. You can't solve all his problems forever.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 8:26 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I honestly think it's the school, we had a horrible time in 1st grade as well, same issues, different grade. Just today he told me that a kid pushed him down, making him fall and he cried. When he was crying he told a teacher what happened and what was her response? "If you're looking for sympathy you've come to the wrong teacher." Who says that!??!?! I hate the place and I wish I could pull him out today.
    1organicmom

Comment by 1organicmom (original poster) at 8:18 PM on Feb. 11, 2011