Does your family make you feel unhappy?

I've noticed lately that I just don't enjoy my own family. I hope I'm not sounding self centered or that I take them for granted. I love them but I'm always upset or sad about something around them.I feel like if I was just a single person on my own, I wouldn't be so sad all the time and I'd get a heck of a lot more accomplished. I'd actually have time for friends. I have a 14 year old boy so those are fun times.....got the teenage attitude change going on with him.The attitude isn't real bad but it's there. The biggest problem with him is irresponsibility and not doing his school work or chores around the house.It worries me that he came close to failing for the year because of this and he gets put in detention because of it and other things he does in class. Then he wants to have an attitude when you get on him for it. I do everything I can to raise our kids up well and I sometimes feel like I've missed something. My daughters 5 and she's got the cutest little personality but she's so demanding. She needs help with 3 other things before I'm even done helping with the first thing. They're kids, I know, I'm not trying to sound whiney...I know this is to be expected with children. Just trying to explain ( to myself even) why I feel so dragged down.Theres been so much to do lately. I feel like I'm running out of steam. My husband can be so obnoxious sometimes. Sometimes I think he's just another kid to deal with. I think in the morning before they all leave for school and work that I can't wait untill the house is empty.I even kick the dog out to the backyard. Seems to be the only time I'm at peace and I can have time to calm my frustrations down and learn how to deal with the issues better. It gives me time to think. I suppose if things were going better in my marriage I wouldn't get so easiily agitated. We have a retarded dog too,lol. The dogs very hyper and just annoying and hard to deal with. Everytime I turn around theres something retarded going on in my house. lol. Anyone else feel this way or is it something with my own attitude towards my family I need to work on? I realize that things could be worse. My kids aren't terrible. I've seen worse family situations out there and I'm grateful that I don't have to worry about my son being on drugs or my daughter getting pregnant. Its not that bad. If I'm honest with myself I'm just not happy right now. I know I'm the only one who can CHOOSE to be happy not count on others to do that for me... I just still feel dragged down by it all though.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• Maybe it's time to figure out what you can do to make yourself happy? If you're having marriage troubles, I'd guess that it's the real issue.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• you are so right......Thankyou.....sometimes I don't feel like I have enough time to do what makes me happy but I'm going to have to work it in because ultimately it may affect how I myself am affecting my family. I don't want my bad moods to affect them...like having less patience with them and what not......Its sometimes hard to balance it all especially when you have other issues going on.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Me personally.

No. believe and accept that I make myself happy or unhappy. No one else does. I and I alone control/have sway over my feelings. What I think, my perceptions creates my feelings. If I were unhappy with things around me, things in my life. I would take a good cold hard honest look into/at myself and figure out where my unhappiness was truly coming from. Once I figured that out, I would begin working on that issue/those issues. If the root causes of my unhappiness were marital issues, then I would need to take responsibility for my feelings about these issues, and bring them too light. I would need to be totally honest with my husband about the issues, why they were issues, how they made me think/feel, and how I thought would be best to rectify them. Then hopefully, we would work together to rectify those, because I have learned in 25 years of marriage that if I feel/see issues, so does he.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011