How to santize toothbrushes or just use a new one?

Does anyone have a good way to santize toothbrushes or just as easy to buy new ones when on sale? I do know some of the electric ones for kids are not cheap so would like if possible more use out of them. Thanks

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 8:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Health

• My MIL puts hers in the dishwasher. I personally would just replace it. You are supposed to replace them every 3 months
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You can also boil them in a pot on the stove
    Steph319

• I change mine once a month, I don't think there is a way to actually sanitize them? I'd be scared of even using a mild bleach solution. They have those "sterilizing containers" that use light, but they are $50 and I don't know for sure that they even work.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Honestly speaking, I just replace all of ours about once a month. Most of them are not that expensive.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would replace them. You are supposed to replace toothbrushes every 6 months. Most electric toothbrushes on the market these days have replacable brush heads.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 8:41 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I soak mine in hydrogen peroxide once a week. I also dip it in hydrogen peroxide & brush my teeth with it to help keep them white.

And you're supposed to replace them every 3 months, not 6 months. But, i replace mine every 2 months because i'm weird about what i put in my mouth.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes, what samurai chica said...peroxide. Personally, i do not clean them. They are cheap enough i throw them out after every couple months, or after being sick.

Actually, i don't throw all them out. Some i clean, then put in a baggie and use them for small cleaning projects around the house, like the a/c filter-a toothbrush gets into the grates. or the shower, to scrub the grout, then toss them. I make sure to mark the clenaing brushes so no one gets confused!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:45 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It has been told to me by Dentists that after 3 months a new brush should be used and old one thrown in the trash!
    avilio54

Answer by avilio54 at 1:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• use a peroxide and water solution and soak for 1/2 hr
    or just in boiling water
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011