What are

the requirements -to be considered Christian?

I'm asking this as a sort of spin off of the do you believe in the devil/ Satan question. It appears that there are disagreements as to what a Christan should believe.

I had really never heard until yesterday that to be a christian, one needs to believe in Satan... (and I kinda find it strange that no one seemed interested in the history of the Devil that I posted about.)

I am not trying to start drama...but I am really curious as to what people think are the major things you need to believe to be a christian

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 9:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I'm glad you asked this, and hoping you get more in depth answers, as my questions were only getting snippy replies in the other question.

I too find it rather rude to try to dictate who can or should believe "what" in order to be a christian.

Beliefs are way too personal to dictate to others what constitutes a "true" christian.
    There are many paths, even among christians.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Definition of CHRISTIAN
    1a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Comments like "You must believe in XYZ in order to be a Christian" or "How can you call yourself a Christian if you don't believe in ABC?" are said by Christians who take the Bible very literally to Christians who take the Bible less literally. I personally think it's rude to tell someone else what they can/cannot believe or must/must not believe in order to hold a title of faith.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Exclusive Christians will give you a different answer than those who are inclusive and/or pluralistic. Pluralistic views means there are many, equally valid paths to God and Christianity is just ONE of these many paths. Those with inclusive views believe Jesus is the way, but people of other faiths may be 'saved' too; usually good works and Jesus' teachings are emphasized more. Those with exclusive views believe that it's only through FAITH in Christ that people are saved. There are also liberal, mainline, and conservative perspectives within denominations, so there are many different ways to think of the Bible (literal vs. allegory) too.

Personally, I think anyone who follows Jesus' teachings and CHOOSES to call themselves a Christian can be a Christian. I follow some of Jesus' teachings and find truth in many of them, but Buddhism is closer to my way of thinking so I identify with that now. I used to be Presbyterian
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• As far as I know, the only requirement that goes across all christian denominations is that you believe the Jesus is the son of God and that you accept his living sacrifice as payment for your sins in the eyes of God. Some denominations refer to this as "accepting Jesus as your savior" or "asking Jesus into your heart".
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Here are a couple links to two 'types' of Christianity that I know of that don't have a typical view of Jesus, but still identify themselves as a type of Christianity. I know there are others, but these are just two I can think of right away. IF I were going to be a Christian or visit a Christian church regularly, these are two paths that I would be most interested in. I'm also interested in the UUA church as well, since they are usually inclusive and pluralistic.

Gnostic Christians

Unity Church
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with MissesNick; you have to believe in Christ. Everything else is a fundamental of a religion, not a definition of being a Christian.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:59 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You must believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, He came to earth in the form of a babe. Grew up to a man who was crucified and resurrected three days later for our sins. Yes, we believe Satan is real as he is an enemy of God. It's like you can't believe in Heaven without Hell or vice versa.
    7thHeaven5

Answer by 7thHeaven5 at 10:31 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I can not speak for everyone, only for myself. I do take the Bible literally and according to John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No man can come unto the Father but by me". So that is all I need to know that Jesus is the only way to heaven. If there were many other ways to get there, He wouldn't have had to die on the cross. I believe you must confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead. (Rom.10:9). I believe one needs to be baptized. Yes, I believe in Satan and Hell. I am not one of those people who accept only the good things they read in the Bible and reject the rest. I think you should believe all of it or none of it. Good luck in your search. :)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:39 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My definition is:

Someone who believes in the person of Jesus, the message of love, compassion, and humility shown through his life, the thought that he reveals to us the character of God, Who is love and compassion, and who believes that living by his teachings and following his example can bring us closer to God as well as our fellow man.
    This usually involves some sort of discipleship in terms of having Jesus, in some way at the center or head (or other equivalent) of one's beliefs and one's relationship with God.

But I don't believe that there is a set standard of belief or doctrine when it comes to meeting the above definition. Christian, in my opinion, doesn't imply an adherence to specific criterion of faith, but instead indicates a specific standard of heart, a criterion of love, if you will.

(continued)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011