My 3 year old has a fever of 103.7

Besides a fever reducer, is there any point in taking him to the doctor as long as the fever goes down? And how many days with a fever till i should take him in?

Mommy2JoshNJake

Asked by Mommy2JoshNJake at 9:32 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• as long as it goes down and stays down for a few hours then no i dont see a point! after 3 days of a fever i would take him in just to be sure he is ok! other then that i just let his body do wat its suppose to do! try a luke warm bath and lots of water to drink, some rest will help too! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My girls had a fever and did not want to see them if not other sympthoms like sore throut, ears hurting, body aches. Just a bug going around and to let them rest, push the fluids, give childrens motrion and to just watch and see what happens. Also check if like bladder or kindey infection. Just call your doctor cause yours might want to see you but mine did not. My girl did that for about 3 days and better now. Just a bug. Call if in doubt that is what I did. Hang in there cause it will pass and will get better soon.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 9:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You seem to have a handle on the situation. If at any point you have a question about the fever or his symptoms you can always call the doctor and speak with a nurse. For my the practice where my kids go it is a fever for 3 days or for obvious symptoms like a few weeks ago when DS1 had a fever, with a cough and slight runny nose. I was fine with it until the vomiting began. Then they wanted to see him.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• As long as the fever is going down just let him.her be. Lots of rest and water or juice. Pedialite is also good. Call the pediatrician and explain the symptoms and how high the fever was and that it's going down and see if they still want to see him. Some doctors prefer if you bring them in anyway, some will tell you to let them be. Call your child's doctor and see what he/she says.
    My DD's pediatrician has told me numerous times that if she has a fever, give her the fever reducer and give us a call if it's during work hours. If it's not and the fever is not high or out of control, call the next day during work hours. They decide whether they want to see her or not.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 10:04 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Once they get to 103 they can start having seizures so be very careful. If the fever reducer is working I wouldn't rush to the hosp but I would call the dr and let them know whats going on.
    kadensmom04

Answer by kadensmom04 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 10, 2011