What determines the status??

How does one determine whether they are a professional or an expert? I have waitressed for 12 years. Someone told me Im a "professional waitress" lol. But what makes someone a professional at something without a degree?
What makes you an expert at your trade? Is it years in experience or clientel? I watch HGTV and they call the home stagers "Expert Home Stagers." Or on Hoarders they'll call someone and "Expert in Organization". What makes them an expert and not just a Professional Organizer? Or why arent you called a Professional Stager?

Odd ? but curious lol. TIA!!!

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Money & Work

• Professional can had many meanings. You are a profession waitress because you have made it your profession. You have done this for 12 years.
    An expert is someone that has a LOT of experience in a certain area. Don't let them fool you. A lot of people call themselves experts w/o really being one. And a lot of people who would really be considered experts don't want to admit that they are.
    Being an expert comes with "responsibilities". When I was in the process of interviewing I was told that they required an expert at a certain programming language. Well, I'm good, but I don't consider myself an expert, and never really will. And I would tell them that. However, my career counselor told me that because I had so many years of experience I was considered an expert at this particular language, and that's what they were looking for.
    In summary, being an expert is subjective, but it implies a LOT of experience and/or good reviews
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 9:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• A professional implies that you get paid to do something, an expert implies that you have an extensive knowledge of something - at least that's my interpretation. I'd guess that they are using the two word interchangeably.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Scuba is correct. I was going to write the same thing.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 9:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I actually went and looked this up because I was curious. It seems like an expert has actual technical training on a given subject and probably has a degree or a certificate, etc. A professional is good at what they do, and they get paid for it, but they may not have the technical knowledge about what they do.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My favorite is the professional sleep technician for furniture stores! too funny
    mothermayiam

Answer by mothermayiam at 10:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011