RSV

my 3 month old has rsv as of monday when he was tested, He is hardly sleeping ,fever isnt going below 100 ,crying non stop, and is coughing alot more. I have called the doctors office they are closed, and I am snowed in due to 5-6 feet snow drifts and its just me my husband went to work (friend had to come get him since we cant get our car out) how can I help sooth thim, I have his cold air humidifire running in every room, he is doing breathing treatments, just not helping........ and I dont know anyone who can come get me and my kids to go to hospital

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 10:06 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Health

• Take him into your smallest bathroom and run a HOT HOT shower. Don't put him in the shower of course but let the steam build up in the room to help with his chest congestion. If that doesn't seem to help bundle him up and let him breath some of the really cold air outside just for a second.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If he is having trouble breathing, call an ambulance.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:09 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I have lots of RSV experience with an immune deficient child. His first bout with RSV was when he was 7 weeks old. The first thing they'll do in a hospital is lower the temperature of the room to about 55 degrees. They say lower is better, but that 55 is pushing for the comfort of everyone else residing in the room. Take him in a steamy bathroom for about 30 minutes and then sit with him by an open window for 20-30 minutes, bundled in blankets except for his chest and up. Repeat this as often as necessary. It will help some with easing his breathing. If he's having striders, or his chest is retracting when he breathes in, call an ambulance if that's what you have to do to get him to the hospital.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• he doent seem like he is having trouble breathing, just when he gets to crying he cant catch his breath and he is acting like it hurts to cough
    SkylaReneeMom

Comment by SkylaReneeMom (original poster) at 10:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• rsv is highly contagious and the other kids shouldn't be around the child. Who diagnosed the baby? Why didn't they admit him then? I'd call an ambulance if I didn't have another way to get there. rsv is nothing to ignore. I just left the infant's hospital and they have several in there with rsv. One isn't expected to live so please get there asap
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• RSV is nothing to play around with. We have several cases in our area. Some cousins catching it from each other. If you have other small children I would let them stay with family or a friend.

My 16 year old BIL had RSV when he was around 3 months old. They sent him to a larger hospital 3 hours away and didn't think he would make it. He was on oxygen for a year, 24 hours a day. He learned to walk and pull his small tank around. He has permanent damage to his lungs. He still has problems from it. When he gets sick the lung damage makes it that much worse and herd to get rid of. He is very under weight and his Dr. has said the damage to his body from the RSV is the cause. He is 16 years old and 5 ft. tall and 65 lbs.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 12:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• RSV doesn't necessarily have to be a bad enough case to be in the hospital, but it can be tricky and unpredictable, and it can get out of control quickly. However, my son was hospitalized only 3 of the times he had it and then carefully monitored at home and through regular phone calls from the pediatrician for several other times he had RSV. There are a number of reasons they may have decided your son didn't need to be hospitalized right away, including how full the hospital is right now, or the fact that babies can catch soooo many things or be made worse just being in the hospital environment. It may also have to do with your insurance deductibles/coverage, etc. The bottom line is to watch your son. If he is struggling for breath, having striders, retracting, turning gray or blue in the hands or around the mouth...call an ambulance to get to the hospital.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:53 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• well I know how bad it can get, my middle son was in the hospital for 2 weeks with it, but he wasnt this mad and crying all the time. so I was wondering f there is a way to sooth the baby, my other two are also sick with uri, so they all three have kinda the same thing but the baby does still stay in his room mostly were I have the air filtering with water and he is sleeping mostly now
    SkylaReneeMom

Comment by SkylaReneeMom (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011