I have a friend who... adult content

I have a friend who has never been to the gynecologist. I've been trying to convince her that theres nothing to really worry about and its not that bad. What are some ways I could reassure her and calm her anxieties about it?

cms310

Asked by cms310 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Health

• I dunno how close you are but I had a friend like yours and I went with her
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would have her make an appointment to meet with the OBGYN without having an exam. Let the OBGYN calm her fears. Then if she likes that Dr. she will be more comfortable seeing them for an exam. Go with her for support. Maybe she would also be more comfortable with a female OBGYN also.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Tell her how risky it is NOT to go.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Tell her some of the things that could go unnoticed and kill her if she doesn't get checked out regularly. That should scare her into going,
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• She needs to understand how dangerous it is not to go. she could have an infection that could lead to PID or infertility. Her not going is not and option especially if she's sexually active. If you have to take her them maybe that is what needs to be done her health and her sexual partner(s) are at risk if she doesn't go.
    missShye

Answer by missShye at 10:35 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• She doesn't have to go to a GYN. She can go to her primary care physician.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thanks everyone for your answers! Her and I have talked and I'm going to go with her. She refused to make an appt so I just made one for her. haha I guess we will see how it goes!
    cms310

Comment by cms310 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Bravo, you are a great friend. If she's shy (like me!), you can go to a lady gynecologist.
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i would just go with her. i know how scared i was the first time i went to my first gyno visit. maybe share your experience with her. and ask her what it is that scares her about going. talk about it.
    tanper29

Answer by tanper29 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2011