WTH?

I can't even imagine something being set up this way. Whats so hard about getting something right the first time? How many times can the government screw us while thinking they are doing us a favor? I've seen it to many times

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Well thats what happens when the Govt runs things. This is also a prime example why I think we dont and shouldnt have so much Govt in our lives. These widows should be able to collect their life insurance without all these stupid rules attached.

Answer by gemgem at 10:23 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Can't find the money to help 55,000 war widows but we can find the money to "bailout" banks who turn around and bonus themselves millions for their hard work bankrupting themselves in the first place? Good gravy.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• And worse, it seems they are not actually asking for help, but merely to collect on insurance that they PAID for. shameful.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Wow! This is something I did not know! I am willing to venture there are tens of thousands of us that don't know. I think I have a new pet project! I think this is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. I cannot imagine how anyone would think this is OKAY...these are life insurance policies that have been paid for by the service member to insure his families financial stability...and they reduce payments! I won't even get into the arbitrary marriage thing! Once I get over my amazement/shock I am going to be livid.

I am with Sen. Nelson from FL. I will be giving my useless Senators a call today to see if they are on board. I hope you ladies will be doing the same.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:41 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• That is one of the craziest things I ever heard of...have to remarry to collect paid for insurance...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The main hurdle to eliminating the benefit offset is cash. It would cost the government an estimated $6.7 billion over a decade to allow the widows to collect both benefits in full.

The Defense Department has long said there was never an expectation that both programs would be provided at the same time. Clifford Stanley, the defense undersecretary for personnel, told Congress last year that eliminating the offset would create inequities in its benefits programs.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Sweet, I call BS on what Mr. Stanley had to say! When people buy insurance they don't expect it to be tied to military death benefits. I also call BS on the complaint it would "cost" the govt....this is insurance that people paid for. Thanks for providing the extra info! I am on the warpath on this!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:10 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Why on earth would anybody buy insurance with the "expectation" that the govt would have all sorts of rules/limits for you to be able to collect it. If private insurers had all these rules the govt would be on them in a heartbeat!

Sorry ya'll, I am just thinking about the number of families this could potentially affect and I am extremely angry about it.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• . It would cost the government an estimated $6.7 billion over a decade to allow the widows to collect both benefits in full.

Kinda my point here. Why on earth did this happen in the first place if they didn't want it that way? Yeah government... :P
    itsmesteph11

Comment by itsmesteph11 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I totally agree OP! This is beyond disgusting and the evil factor here, makes me nauseous!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 1:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011