OMG I strained my back 3 days before....

My husband gets in Friday evening and I strained my back the other day. He's been in Afghanistan for a 12 month deployment and I am so excited. But this is the first time I have ever hurt my back. Please any advice on a speedy recovery. I was gonna go to the doctor but things aren't as bad as they were when I first hurt it. But i still can't do much without bending over in pain. Any advice on helping get my back, back in tip top shape?

P.S. I hurt it moving some foot lockers in the garage. Foot lockers that my hubby shipped home with some of his gear in it. What about the irony in that lol.

True_Gator_77

Asked by True_Gator_77 at 10:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Health

• Hot, cold, hot. No more than 10 minutes each. You can start with a quart baggie, put in half alcohol, half water. Put in a cup of each. Stick it in the freezer. It won't freeze because of the alcohol but will get slushy. If you don't have a heating pad, moisten a small towel and stick in the microwave. Turn after a minute, turn again, get it as hot as you think you can stand. Start with hot, end with hot. Do this every three or four hours. Should loosen up the muscles.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with alternative heat and cold. I don't agree with taking it easy. Google some back stretches. They are gentle and will help things go back where they need to be. If possible get a massage. It's amazing how my back pain leaves almost immediately after a massage. A doctor will just give pain meds. That won't fix it.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Motrin helps..and alternating hot and cold packs on the area affected. That's all I have for you. I would try to take it easy til he gets there...you might be able to baby it along til Friday and then it should be just fine.
    mommateapot

Answer by mommateapot at 10:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Oh, Ibuprofen helps take down any swelling so that helps too and makes the stretching easier.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thanks everyone I am trying everything now. :-)
    True_Gator_77

Comment by True_Gator_77 (original poster) at 11:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2011