SSI

I was denied my SSI application although a former doctor and my social workers all agree that I should be receiving it. Should I call an attorney to see if they would take my case?

Has anyone else consulted an attorney and been accepted?

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 10:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Health

• usually ppl are denied with out a lawyer. alot of lawyers do not get paid unles you win.so check that out before you get one. you will also get paid from the first time you applied. been there done that
    shanndarr

Answer by shanndarr at 10:48 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• A few years ago my boyfriend who had epilepsy so bad he had seizures at least once a week was initially denied. He got a call from someone at a hospital where he owed money (hurt himself when he had a seizure) who worked to help people get whatever help they needed. She used to work for SSA and said they are pretty much trained to deny all claims the first time. This is typical. File an appeal.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• also pm me if you have any questions
    shanndarr

Answer by shanndarr at 10:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I'm sorry but what is SSI? I'm assuming it's some kind of state assistance or disability based on the rest of your question. The only thing I can say is reapply. This isn't exactly the same thing, but similar. I had to get 2 mouth guards for TMJ and my insurance said that they would cover it, but they denied it the first time. I had to have my doctors write and call the insurance company saying that I absolutely needed these guards before insurance finally paid for it, 2-3 months later.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 10:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• A doctor friend told me once that they deny everyone the first time. He had a patient who had been in a car accident, lost a leg and was partially paralyzed and blind in one eye..they denied the guy the first time! Keep fighting it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 12:32 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I heard what Lisa did too. My friend's husband got a lawyer and was approved the 2nd time and is owed retro back pay SSI. If you really need it and qualify go for it. If not, leave it alone.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2008