Looking at buying a house that needs an entire kitchen redo

There are no kitchen cabinets, only an old kitchen double sink with extensions on either side for dish drainers, and a 60's electric range. We want to keep the sink and decorate around that. Any ideas on how to decorate it? How much does a kitchen remodel cost?

grahamom

Asked by grahamom at 10:34 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Home & Garden

• There are a lot of builders that are sitting around iddle @ this time. Interview a few let each and everyone of them know that u are shopping around get the best reasonable price & go from there.However stress the fact that u do not want any hidden cost (surprises). It sounds like u don't have to gut anything out & that should save u some money right there. Meanwhile go to Lowes & Home depot... get some ideas (look through there catalogs on kitchens... and even sit w/ their kitchen designers inquire about their prices & I am sure u will be pleasantly surprise. Find a style that u like & that best fits your budget. Six years ago I had my home built & (FYI) I have a rather large size kitchen with lovely maple cabinets in a very tuscan style & paid12,000. I love my kitchen they paid attention to detail & I was very satisfied. Good luck & have fun!
    Bellafleurs

Answer by Bellafleurs at 12:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• We're getting ready to start a kitchen remodel. We're not changing the footprint/layout of the kitchen but upgrading and replacing everything in it. The cost will be about $50,000-60,000.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• WTF? 50,000 - 60,000? How big is your kitchen? I would say average is 10,000-20,000
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• My brother just flipped a house and he only spent $75,000 to do the entire thing, kitchen and bathrooms included. No way should a kitchen cost $50,000 to $60,000 unless you are putting in extremely high cost everything. I'd say around $10,000. And that might be a little high.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• The cost depends on what you buy, and if you do the work yourself or pay someone. We remodeled our entire house, including the kitchen. Dh did all the work himself, and I think we spent about $2,000 in the kitchen, getting new cabinets, countertops, floors, lighting. The cabinets we got we had to stain ourselves, but that was fine because we saved a ton of money. And we have tons of cabinets. If you want pics of them, let me know!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 3:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2008