Have you even been given a label?

Like "nerd", "fatty", "stupid", ect.? How did it affect you?

I think we are all given a label at some point that follows us through our lives. Even positive labels like "the smart one" can become negative when we are known for our label rather than our identity.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• My group of friends and I were the losers in high school...we got called all kinds of stupid names. It didn't really bother us though...we didn't like any of the people calling us those names anyway.
    Now I get called a bitch, but I'm really not. I'm really shy, especially in really crowded social situations, and shy can come off as bitchy a lot of the time. That really bothers me, but I try not to let it affect me.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i have always been known as the crazy one and i hate it
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We get lables all our life, different lables at different times or situations. I've been labled: partier, jock, easy, uptight, conservative, brains, hard-worker, rebel, naive, aloof...and so on. Some were true to that event, some were rumor mill gossip. I really didn't care, still don't. The only one that seems to make me care is "good mom", i love that label, not for the fact that i want the lable, but for the fact that my efforts in parenting seem to show. I don't strive for others, but it's nice to be told that all the same.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 10:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was labeled smart when I was in high school which cracked me up since I was failing 2 of my classes lol.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 10:56 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i was always known as the loner even though i was friends with everyone..... but it was true. i knew everyone and everyone liked me but i didnt have much of an interest in joining any groups so i was always hanging out by myself. oh! and slacker. which i was lol
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 11:00 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• boobarandbell- I have also been labled the "partier" and later on people have called me "the perfect mom" I don't like either of them. When ever someone says "your like the perfect mom!" I instantly correct them. Yes, I'm a good mom but I am NOT perfect, I don't hold myself to those expectations, and I don't think other people should either. I agree that sometimes I feel like its a huge compliment, but other times I'm like whoa... hold on there!! I don't like being labeled as anything!
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Know-it-all-bitch because I don't agree with their messed up lifestyles and actually have an education

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was the "Bible toting, gothic hippie witch chick" in high school. I thought it was hilarious because people are so ignorant of "not normal" things around here (like non-Christian religions, dressing in clothes from places other than AE and all those places, and just being yourself no matter what people think of it, etc.). Some people were afraid of me, some people made fun of me, some people hated me for no reason, etc.

Amongst my friends, I was kind of the "funny" one, but also "one of the smart ones" and a "geek" or "nerd." I'm a Harry Potter fan, I love books, I made good grades, and I wasn't afraid or ashamed of doing really stupid, potentially embarrassing things to cheer someone up.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:21 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• When I was in school, I was labeled as short, and dorky. Now that I'm older, I'm loud, opinionated and stubborn. Oh well, I'd rather be that than the little wimp I was in school, afraid of my own shadow.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:40 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was the loner in school, the "pretty girl" in my twenties, and now "holy roller" was the most recent. Been labeled so much that I decided I don't need labels, I am my own person, own beliefs, values, and morals and people will always talk. I learned to ignore but sometimes still get caught off guard. People are different and we all know, labels are pointless but very popular today and in the past.
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 11:52 AM on Feb. 9, 2011