Can you be selfish with your baby?

Is it possible to hog your childeren? I dont think its selfish if its your baby. Its not like i dont let ppl she her, we visit ppl alot and ppl come over. but becuz i hold her a lot when ppl visit or dont go anywhere without her ppl say im selfish with my DD. it really pisses me off becuz shes my daughter and i have the right to do whatever i want right?
I know it sounds mean but im not upset when ppl get upset that they dont see her every week or doesnt hold her the entire time we visit. just becuz we visit doesnt make her less of my DD, so i'm not going to change how i feel about having my baby with me just because we visit ppl and they want to always have her. Shes still my daughter.
Do you think im being selfish? or do you agree?

Glouii

Asked by Glouii at 10:43 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've heard that too. I don't pay any attention. It's about the most absurd thing I've ever heard anyone say.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 10:48 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am the same way with my son who is now 3.... I am over it.. my family gets on our case all the time because we don't leave him enough or go out and date.. we were together 11 years before having our son.. we DID date and go out.. now we WANT to be with our son...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Absurd, indeed. Ignore that crap. Wanting YOUR kid isn't selfish, that's the way it's supposed to be! At least you're not shoving your kid at anyone who will take him/her.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 10:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You are selfish for not going anywhere without you dd and I am selfish because I DO like to go places without my sons. You just can't win either way!
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 10:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• never heard it, but i know for a fact that if i went to my husband's family parties and held our kids the whole time they would all be talking crap about me hogging the kids. i had to get over it really fast once my first was born lol. it was really hard to do but it got easier as they got older. i rarely go out with out them though, and i only have my mom babysit them whenever i do go out at night (birthday or anniversary)
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 10:56 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Hmm, no, not selfish. I never had issues with that. I never had a problem with other people holding my kids either though.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't think so. My daughter actually won't let anyone else hold her, even if I wanted them to. She's been that way since 4 months old and she's almost 18 months now. It's either me or my husband. Occasionally she'll put up with other people if they have food or a cell phone or something like that, that they'll let her play with.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• You are protecting her from who knows how many germs and viruses! Keep it up!
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 8:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011