In your opinion, what's the best breed of dog to have around children?

I have a two-year-old daughter and we own a thirteen-year-old Boston Terrier and she is great with our daughter! Very tolerant and patient with how rough our daughter can get. Loves to give kisses and affection to her despite how much my daughter tugs on her. lol.

I also think German Shepherd's are a really great breed for children.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pets

• i personally feel that there isnt really a specific breed thats best for kids, but that it depends more on the individual family and dog itself. i think it does make a bigger difference if the child & puppy are raised kinda together, there is more of a bond that way. but again, people can go out and buy a fully grown dog with an older child & there can still be a strong bond. ive heard people say harsh things about dachshunds (the little weiner dogs) and my mom has had one since he was a puppy and i was about 15. hes old now but hes always been a sweet & loving dog, never aggressive like ive heard some people say. it really depends on the child and the dog.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:02 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• beagle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I have heard labs, golden retrievers and Beagles are great with kids.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 11:08 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• II believe you look and the right dog will stand out. There are lots of different breeds and mixed too. My daughter picked her dog out and them too are inseparable. She is 10 and he is 7yrs old and a lab/golden retriever mix. She talks to him, walks him, and lays in the yard with him outside and listens to music. He and her both love it. My little fiest/and whatever else mix lol I got from some people who said he was ugly and couldn't stand him. He was sweet and loving and I took him home. Best dog ever to me, very loyal, a family dog, little jealous but not mean just wedges in between and gets his love too. I think it depends on person, family, and dog, have to have some connection.
    ConnectHearts

Answer by ConnectHearts at 11:12 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i right off was going to say a terrier whether it is mixed or not. i had 4 terriers around here and i dont know if it is terriers themselves but they seem to walk away when being picked on. you want something that will walk away not snap back.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We have a mutt and also a German Shepherd. Never had a problem. But i'm a real stickler with how children behave around my dogs, it's NOT ok for a child to play rough, pull on them, try and ride them. My kids, and any child that has been around my dogs, know that if they aren't respectfull to them, they will be in BIG trouble.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:41 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Beagles or pugs.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 12:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Goldens are great
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We have Shelties and they are great with our kids; very friendly/sweet with them and protective of them. The Shelties are almost 3 (male) and almost 5 (female) and we've had them since they were each 7wks old. Our kids are 6 and almost 11.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• a Bassett Hound is the best animal to have around kids.
    vernalea

Answer by vernalea at 6:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011