I am in a lesbian relationship. I have been knowing my "wife" ever since my son was about 7 months and he is now 5 yrs old. He calls her mama also. When do you think he will realize we are not the "average" family? What do i do about the teasing? Im hurt that people are still totally inconsiderate and just little SNOTS sometimes! *exhausted*

Everyone has their own opinion and everyone may not agree with my lifestyle but just remember that you are not perfect. We are happy! I have gotten some really nasty reponses from my last question that i asked -- (had to do with my son's eating habit) and i do not like to feel uncomfortable. Nobody does. So with that said, i hope you all think of me as your extended family like i do you. HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Itshard4me

Asked by Itshard4me at 10:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• Sweetie...who really is an average family anyway. My family is made up of 2 divorces. Family is what you make of it. Tell you child the truth always...and in the end you will always win. Make them strong and proud of who they are and where they came from. People are ruthless, just teach your child who they are and to stand tall. I teach my children that when others make fun of them it is because they (the others) actually do not like themselves. Good luck to you always...
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 10:46 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Well I would talk to him now about different types of families. Like you have two mommys,some ppl have one mommy and one daddy. There are alot of different types. My boys have 2 daddys, there bio and step dad since my youngest was 6 mo.
    At 5 they are very perseptive, you can I'm sure find some books to read to him. I know my boys read some at pre school on different family dinamics.
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 10:47 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• i think you need to just be honest and up front with him... now. explain that there are different types of families.... some with a mommy and daddy. some with two mommies or daddies, etc. and tell him sometimes people arent used to "two mommies"... so sometimes people will say things that arent nice, because they just dont understand... are unsure about the situation. just let him know that everyone is entitled to their opinion. so he must be extra patient with them
    IGotLuckyInKy

Answer by IGotLuckyInKy at 10:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• There is a terrific book to help you discuss this with your child when he is ready. "Heather has two Mommies" Amazon also has many other picture books for children with gay parents.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:30 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• If you two can make this relationship work and raise your kids in a loving home, more power to you.I don't have the lesbian attraction, but been married twice now.And I can see why some women bat for the other team.Men are a pain sometimes.As for you children, if they don't get teased about this , they will be teased about something else.kids are kids.Just raise them with a secure self image.The world is not fair,Straight or gay.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:05 PM on Nov. 17, 2008