Agree or disagree? ~ Josh Billings

"Wisdom has never made a bigot, but learning has."

~ Josh Billings ~ (1818 – 1885) Pen name of Henry Wheeler Shaw. He was perhaps the second most famous humor writer and lecturer in the United States in the second half of the 19th century after Mark Twain.

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Religious Debate

• The more knowledge or learning that you have about something the more understanding and wisdom you will have.

----

Not necessarily. Someone may have knowledge of a subject, but not have the wisdom to use the knowledge sensibly. Knowledge is clarity of things like facts and figures, and is gained through learning and education. Wisdom is gained through experience, and results in a state of being (wise). Wisdom can be enhanced through knowledge, but knowledge alone does not guarantee that wisdom will follow. Knowledge is gained from the outside world while wisdom is from ourselves. Wisdom is knowing facts, but pairing it with good judgment. Knowledge does not make you wise, but wisdom can help you see the value of knowledge.

A classic example of the difference between knowledge and wisdom: Knowledge is the understanding that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing that you don't put tomatoes in a fruit salad.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I like it! True wisdom is not believing what we are told; it's experiencing and understanding truth and reality. It is necessary to be open and compassionate to be wise, no matter how much you read or learn. Recognizing that you don't know everything is part of being wise.

It reminds me of a couple other quotes:

(1) "It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err."~Ghandi

(2) "The ancient Masters didn't try to educate the people but kindly taught them to not know. When they think they know the answers they are difficult to guide. When they know they don't know, people can find their way."~Tao Te Ching ch 65
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Sounds kinda arrogant to me, one persons wisdom is another persons learning.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:38 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree. Learning does not make a bigot, but it can lead to bigotted thinking, if one has not gained wisdom to analyze what one learns, rather than just absorb it.  Granted wisdom and learning can and do go hand in hand, but learning in its most basic form of memorizing facts, figures and formulas is not enough by itself.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• /sigh/

The point is, BIGOTRY IS 100% LEARNED.

-----

LOL

I agree that bigotry is learned, and it also means that you cannot be both wise AND a bigot. It's impossible. Wisdom requires openness to change (for example when new facts are presented) and flexibility, being willing to listen to other points of view, tolerance, respect, understanding of others, and understanding that we are not going to be right about everything all the time. There are few absolutes in this world. Sometimes I think there are people who are bigots and they really don't even know WHY they are other than that they were taught to think a certain way--that THEY are better than others, that their beliefs are better, that they should be intolerant of others, etc. Where you have ignorance, fear, and intolerance, you will not find wisdom.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with pam19. And, YES - we do learn from others. From their accomplishments and their failures. I have learned so much from my older brothers and sister.....it was easy for me growing up.....I had examples.....LOL

Wisdom is definitely learned and lived through. Trial and error. Also, realization of what was lived and tried. One can always keep on learning. Always growing.
    Shadowe

Answer by Shadowe at 12:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• confused

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:56 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Learning is bad? I disagree then.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:50 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• /sigh/

The point is, BIGOTRY IS 100% LEARNED.
    MamaK88

Comment by MamaK88 (original poster) at 3:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Bullcrap. There is no wisdom without learning. The two are interdependent.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011