Are you picky about your fresh produce?

i can safely say i am.

right now i have a bowl of fresh strawberries in front of me, and i am squeezing each one before i eat them to make sure theyre firm. even the slightest bit of softness and i refuse it. same with grapes, i will only eat firm grapes. IMO you lose the natural sweetness of the fruit when its not firm like it should be. im kind of disappointed that the majority of strawberries in this bowl are squishy & bruised.

when im at the grocery store, i probably take longest in the produce section making sure i select the best looking of the bunch!

LOL call me OCD i guess!

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 11:22 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I'm pretty picky about produce too. I won't buy lettuce that doesn't have a white core, I don't like bruised fruits. I don't like my berries or grapes squishy either. No soft spots on my eggplant, and I want the skin to be smooth and not wrinkle on my eggplant, tomatoes, apples. I hold each grapefruit, orange, tangerine, to gauge the weight. If they are too light or spongy, then I know they are drying out, I only want those that are heavy and clearly very juicy.

I might be a little OCD too, but my family is eating that produce
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm very picky about produce, I don't like bruises on my fruits or veggies
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yes, very picky.
    free1

Answer by free1 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yep. I only go to certain places for fresh produce.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:36 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am quite picky. Produce is expensive and has a short enough shelf life that I'm not about to buy something that's near-spoiling.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 2:39 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am picky too. Veggies and Fruits are relatively expensive, so I try to get the best value for money.
    I am having my own veggies in our back yard, to make sure they are nutricious, of good quality, no fertilizers.
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 4:30 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I thought I was the world's longest when it comes to selecting fresh furits & veggies! LOL
    mamagoose524

Answer by mamagoose524 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Right now strawberries are really of poor quality because of the cold weather. It ruined much of the crop that was coming to harvest. The cold this year wasn't just in the northern part of the states, it affected the southern growing regions and has has a decimating effect on produce. Just be glad you can get any fresh that's from the US. Buy what's in season and you'll be more satisfied.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I am super picky about it. I don't buy enough fresh at the grocery store because it isn't up to my standards. I live for summer and eating everything straight from my huge garden!
    Anonymous

• very picky takes me forever to pick out fruit and veggies
    Amanda11810

Answer by Amanda11810 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 10, 2011