What are our chances of concieving a son?

I'm trying to look at the geneological perspective of this.

We already have two beautiful daughters (whom we ADORE and LOVE) but we both are really hoping that the third baby will a boy (when I get pregnant again).

In MY family, my parents had two boys then a girl (me), on my hubby's side, there were two girls and then him. His mom's side there were mostly boys. My mom's side (as far as I know cause she was adopted) she had nothing but sisters. My dad's side only had ONE brother, one half brother, and the rest were sisters.

Is it in the genes or in the hormones? Is it wise to get an ovulation test so we can try ON the day I ovulate. They say the male sperm reaches the egg ON the ovulation day.

Sorry for all the info and questions, but I'm really anxious about trying for a boy and when we do I want to know what tricks to try.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 11:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pregnancy

• 50/50
    ElenaC419

Answer by ElenaC419 at 11:25 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thanks for reading the question thoroughly Elena. lol
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It's all 50/50!!! Genetics, hormones, etc really don't play a factor in whether it's an X chromosome or a Y chromosome that enters the egg first.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• well I am sorry to say but no matter what the myths are its still a 50% chance of either gender. I am going through the same thoughts though. IVU is pretty much the only way you can get a guaranteed boy.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 11:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• 50% unless you go into geniology and that gets confusing i think its geniology or somthing like that
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I read it and to me it looks like u have a very good chance of having a boy. Given what genders u have on both sides. Good Luck!! Let me know!! How soon do u plan on trying to get pregnant?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• IVU? Sorry I'm slow. What's that mean?
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 11:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was secretly hoping my 3rd child would be a boy, because we also already had two girls. I was ecstatic to get another girl though, just knew this would be my last pregnancy and really wanted that boy.

But it didnt happen for us. And honestly, I dont think it really has anything to do with genes, just luck or chance basically on which sperm gets there first. Although you might be onto something about male sperms having a better chance of reaching the egg ON ovulation day, since the egg is closer to the uterus and they dont have to swim as far, as it is perceived that male sperm dies quicker than female sperm.

My husband has a sister, and his mom has a brother, so on his side of the family the trend seemed to be 1 of each. on my side, my mom has a half-sister and my dad has a sister, so our trend seemed to be girls.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• How soon do u plan on trying to get pregnant?
    ====

After my birthday, which is in September. We're planning on going to Vegas and are hoping we can make a Vegas baby! lol But I know that's not going to happen.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Female sperm swim faster but die off quicker. Male sperm swim slower but live longer. So if you have sex on the day of ovulation, your chances for a girl are higher vs. having sex the day before.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:30 AM on Feb. 9, 2011