Not losing weight even though I'm honestly sticking to the "healthy" lifestyle. Why?

I went from eating whatever I wanted to watching my fat and calorie intake and exercising. I chart my food on-line, don't go above my recommended food intake for the day , stay within the fat & carb guidelines, plus I exercise to wii fit and Zumba. This has been going on for almost 2 weeks and it's just reaffirming the fact that I have a miserable time losing weight. Any suggestions?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 11:41 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Health

• Muscle weighs more than fat so in building muscle you won't lose for a while. Once the muscles start burning up the calories for you then you will be off and running. Be patient.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:43 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• 2 weeks isn't long. Now if you had been doing this for months, then I would be worried. But just keep it up, oh and don't go by what the scales says. Go by how your clothes are fitting. I worked out for 6 weeks before I had surgery and although I could see a difference in my body, the scale didn't seem to notice lol. But that's ok, my clothes are the real truth tellers :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:44 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It will take 6 weeks for your body to start using fat storage. In that time, you are building muscle and that weight is replacing fat weight. So when you get on a scale, it will not look like you've lost anything.

You have to burn 3500 calories beyond what your body needs to function in order to lose 1 lb.

Google BMR. This will tell you how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight and how many to lose weight based upon your activity level.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• First of all, two weeks is not an accurate amount of time to calculate weight loss. Secondly, muscle weighs more then fat and as you build muscle you will maintain your weight and/or gain a few lbs. Thirdly, you lose inches before you lose a number in lbs. This means that you might not notice a reduction in weight on the scale, but that doesn't mean you're not getting benefits from your routine. As stated two weeks isn't an accurate amount of time to calculate weight loss. A healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs per week and in that week of excersising you're gaining muscle. Which means that it may not show on your scale the amount of weight that you're actually losing due to the increase in muscle.

I agree with the above post. Once the muslce starts burning the calories for you as you build your muscle mass it will start giving you a reduction in lbs. You may not see an actual "result" for another few weeks. Be patient.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• in addition to what the PP's said, you stated you are counting calories going in but are you counting the calories going out in a day? You need to burn 500 calories more than you eat in a day to lose a pound a week (so if you are eating 1300 calories a day you need to burn 1800 calories a day)! You may need to bump the workout a little bit as well.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Are you on any sort of meds? Birth control pills? sometimes that makes it harder (not impossible).....look into diets designed to kick start metabolism and see if that helps...I had a friend with this same problem who lost weight with a book called The metabolism miracle diet...don't let the silly title fool you....that was just to sell books, it's a good diet to follow....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'm actually on Seasonique BC pill which initially caused me to gain about 10 pounds. I've been on it for 6 months now.
    Orionsgirl

Comment by Orionsgirl (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I stuck to the "healthy" lifestyle (under doc's supervision) and did everything that are doing - eating right, limiting fat, watching calories, exercising at least 4 times a week - in the end, I gained 25 pounds and it was NOT muscle! That's when I learned I had to eat for my nutritional type. Carbs were problematic for me so I had to limit them (caused too much insulin to circulate in my system and that's what was causing me to gain weight and no, I'm not diabetic). I skipped breakfast, despite it being the most important meal of the day; not the case for me; it caused more problems than it helped. I had my biggest meal at dinner; actually aided in my sleep. I lost weight with no problem whatsoever (70 lbs.) and have been able to keep it off! That was 12 years ago.

You might want to investigate the Carb Addict's Diet, South Beach, or follow the Glycemic Index if/when what you're currently doing doesn't work.
    Anonymous

• With my current experience, I found I wasn't eating enough calories (my logic was if I'm not losing at 1200, then I'll go lower!). Now that I'm eating my minimum allowance, I am losing. Slowly, but the scales are moving down! I am using Sparkpeople, which tracks everything for me, free! It has really made a difference.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 12:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I started using http://www.free-online-health.com/ It is great. I just started it thisweek but it looks really good and looks like it is a big help. I recommend them :)
    d_cohoon

Answer by d_cohoon at 1:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011