Working moms blamed for childhood obesity?

Did anyone hear about this? This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

http://www.dailyhealthreport.org/childhood-obesity-may-be-caused-by-working-moms/1630/

It's gotta be the MOM'S fault and not the father's. Right?

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 11:47 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think obesity is the care takers fault, working/non-working.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 11:49 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree. But it sounds like they're putting complete blame on the working mom only. I understand that parents are the ones who decide what their child should eat, but to sit there and say that it's the working mom's fault is just ridiculous. I'm not a working mom, but I would think that any working mom is trying to do her best with raising their children and earning a living so they can eat everyday.
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It is ridiculous. Childhood obesity and it's huge increase is due to so many factors.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i'll bet you anything a sexist man wrote this to get women out of their careers and back in the kitchen. more and more women are motivated to make a real difference in the world and a lot of men can't handle that
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:54 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Interesting....we as a culture need to take blame and change, not put it on one person....the truth is, my kid goes to school all day and gets 15 minutes of recess, which most of the time is in the classroom because the teacher doesn't want to go outside...once a week he gets P.E. ...Last week, they watched a movie...they send so much homework home, that it's hard for him to have time to play outside...The school lunches are pre-packaged crap, and so are the breakfasts...I'm a stay at home mom, but how is that helping my kid not to become obese? If I were working during his school hours, his situation would be the same....Our food supply is no longer real food...genetically modified foods are making their way and they ARE NOT GOOD...Prepackaged stuff is filled with corn syrup and other stuff, but the gov. allows the corporations to fool us into believing it's healthy...need I go on?
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i think that is a big pile of BS.

a SAHM is just as capable of feeding her child junk & not giving them any opportunity to go outside and exercise.

it has nothing to do with whether you work or not. it is the decisions you make; namely the foods you feed your children and the amount of activity they get.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• my brother and i had a working single mother after our father passed. she worked as an insurance agent and he and i were never even close to over weight. nor are we now. my husband is one of 6. with working parents. 4 of them are still children and none of the children or adult children are even close to over weight, let alone obese. this is complete bull
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Childhood obesity is the custodial parent, parents or guardians fault whether they work or are at home. Children eat the food that is provided and learn their eating habits by watching the people raising them.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 12:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• watching tennis

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think the reason they blame the mothers is traditionally it is the moms who cook dinner etc. If mom is working then odds are higher dad (or mom) might stop in somewhere to pick up dinner, or make something quick that is higher in fat. I think that is why they say it is because of the mom having a job is all. They really should include single dads in the mix if they want to blame work on obesity in children.

Answer by gemgem at 12:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2011