Painting tips?

We just bought our home about two months ago. We can not decide on paint.. The problem is is that for me the kitchen and living room are separate rooms and i had separate ideas for them both but our house is an open floor plan and the kitchen and living room are open to each other with walls that are shared. Currently there is a cream neutral color. I've picked a chocolate color for window treatments for the kitchen and it seems that i'll have to do the same for the living room as well. should i just keep the original color?

ETA: we wanted to do a relaxing old world theme.. the kitchen was going to be bistro/tuscan.. and the living room would have like the old looking maps and clocks.. then the my master bath is egypt. etc.

LydiaRenee

Asked by LydiaRenee at 11:51 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Home & Garden

• cream/beige neutrals are my favorite and very popular right now. I prefer a muted color like that on the walls and pops of color elsewhere, like the chocolate drapes, or red pillows. I would keep the color or if you want a little more drama just get a darker version of the same color.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I do really like how the chocolate curtains pop against the current paint in the kitchen.. I may just leave the main living area alone but I might paint in the bathrooms still.. thanks for the advice.
    LydiaRenee

Comment by LydiaRenee (original poster) at 12:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Why not do an accent wall in each room and leave the original color on the other walls?
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 12:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I went a got a color pallet that had 4 coordinating colors on it. I used the neutral color in both rooms but picked a different accent color for each room. I just liked that it was different yet complimented each other.

mommysmission

Answer by mommysmission at 12:17 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I like doing just one wall (as someone said above) in a "stand-out" color. Then keep the rest of the walls neutral and decorate!
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 7:01 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would keep the walls the same color, but do the accents different.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2011