If you have anxiety...

How do you handle it, with meds? Or do you go it alone?

wifecombs

Asked by wifecombs at 11:53 AM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Health

• i asked a similar question yesterday.

i go it alone, but its not as severe as it used to be. it worsens when i PMS and thats when i just try and limit some of the things that worsen it. when my period arrives it becomes so much more tolerable. mine is likely hormone related.

a nice hot cup of chamomile tea helps sometimes. its very soothing. also, a hot bath with lavender candles or lavender soaps.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Im gonna go for some tea...I knw I have anxiety issues, but I hate the thought of meds. Im as mentaly strong as I wanna be.
    wifecombs

Comment by wifecombs (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Feb. 9, 2011

• depending on the severity of it you can totally do it without meds. i feel the same way about anti-depressants which is why i dont take them, although i know they can help tremendously for those who are so anxiety-ridden it affects every aspect of their daily life. i wont take them mostly because i dont know how they would affect me & i have 3 young kids to take care of. the last thing i wanna be is drugged out in front of them. and mental strength is the best way to overcome a panic attack. mind over matter.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Cover your right nostril and breathe deeply and slowly for a few minutes. This calms. If you need energy, cover the left nostril. If you can meditate, that helps to calm. Pharmacy also has a homeopathic pill called Calms Forte. It has a quarter moon with a sleeping cap on it. Just take one, wait about 15 minutes then take a second if needed because more might make you sleepy. I have to give two to one of my waitresses when she gets too hyper. She talks nonstop and bounces around like a pogo stick on steroids. lol She has ex and financial issues. She gets the shakes, can't think straight, scattered, etc. These help her.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I did so badly.... especially postpartum. They put me on meds and I will never take them again. They made me sick, angry, and suicidal. I have learned to breath through it, or I call a friend or family member to take my mind off of a panic attack. I found that calling my mom really helps me (she has been through the same thing)
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I handled it alone for years.....now I take Lexapro, and it helps a lot......
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i exercise
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It is better to ween yourself out of drugs.(ANXIETY)
    avilio54

Answer by avilio54 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't haveg it anymore because I do take something for it. I take a low dosage of Celexa, which is just a seratonin re-uptake inhibitor. I wasn't having anxiety attacks necessarily, but I would worry all the time about little stuff. It started after my son was born. The Celexa has helped a lot. I tried everything else beforehand and finally realized I couldn't get control of it on my own. I very rarely worry about anything anymore, unless it's actually worth worrying over.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:20 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• And i want to add...SRI's aren't the type of anti-anxiety meds that make you feel drugged or high. I'm not "out of it" at all. I feel completely normal...just without the anxiety. It's very subtle and they take a few weeks to get into your system and start working.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011