Guinea pigs...Do they bite alot?

Thinking about getting one for my 5 yr old sons b-day.We need something small,quiet and docile.Are these really good pets?Any other suggestions?

FreeFall

Asked by FreeFall at 12:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pets

• I never had a problem with mine when I had one. They do squeak a lot and can smell if the cage isn't cleaned out when needed. I also had a rabbit too, they come in all different sizes and can make good pets too
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Mine didn't very often. When they did, it was mostly if they were hungry. It's going to be a personality thing, like with any other animal. Go to the pet store and handle them, find one that fits your family best personality-wise.
    Anonymum

Answer by Anonymum at 12:18 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• We have 2. And my daughter whos 5 loves them. We got them while they were babies so they are pretty tame. She can pick them up with out any problems. Never had an issue with them bitting. But I am sure that some do. My only suggestion is to get them when they are very young. Also be prepared to clean the cage everyday. Here are couple websites that kinda tell you what to expect http://www.2ndchance.info/guineapigcare.htm
    http://www.healthypet.com/petcare/PetCareArticle.aspx?art_key=568ed708-4b88-4855-9bd3-bc051236bb51

Best of luck!! :)
    blueeyes765

Answer by blueeyes765 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Our guinea pig, Tommy, was the best pet we ever had. They are extremely fragile though.. He lived for 6 years. He did bite, but it was just like a small pinch. The more you hold them, of course, the better they are, but they always have that instinct to bite because of their teeth. You have to keep something in their cage that they can chew on. My young nephew dropped Tommy. He was never okay after that. He eventually died.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I have two guinea pigs. We've never been bitten... though one is a licker, and licking can progress to gentle nibbling if you don't nip it in the bud! They are very nice pets with my kids... when we first got them the kids were 6, 4, and 18 months. They're very friendly and interact with each other and with the kids... often by begging for food! The know the sound when the fridge opens and then we can hear them two floors up! LOL! I would suggest reading up on them first- they need a decent sized cage (the typical 'for guinea pig' pet store cage is really small for them.) They are social animals and are a lot happier in pairs... I would suggest getting two. The interaction between the two pigs is part of what the kid really enjoy about them too. They need a quality guinea pig pellet with vitamin C, timothy hay, and some fresh fruit/veggies for treats.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:32 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Con't. Just to add, make sure you hear a pig 'wheek' before you decide if they are quiet enough for you! Some of them can squeal quite loudly, but it's up to individual personality. One of my pigs is very quiet and we seldom hear a peep out of her... the other is very chatty and we can hear her squeak for food all over the house! She doesn't do it all the time, but she knows when we open the fridge and we can certainly hear her then!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• A 5 year old is a little young for a guinea pig. The suggestion would be 7 or 8 yrs old. Most of them bite. SO you go to the mall and ask for one in the back that they play with that do not bite, otherwise you will get a biter. Be sure you have no cats or dogsd becxause they get very nervous. A five year old does not understand the facts of responsibility. Thanks
    vernalea

Answer by vernalea at 6:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My guinea pigs never bit. My first one was when I was three. I also know a special needs school that has a resident guinea pig. I think like most pets, start with a young one and the more handling you do, the better it will accept that.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:34 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Id recommend a Rat.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:33 PM on Feb. 10, 2011