Is something wrong with my son?

My 3.5yr old son is constantly thirsty and wanting to drink all day long! He will suck down his juice or milk (which we always water down) in about a minute. I dont know if something is wrong with him or if this is normal behavior? Any advice will help!

roxygurlie526

Asked by roxygurlie526 at 12:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is this just the last day or so or longer period of time? Did he have something extra salt or something like that? Doesnt' sound quite right but just depends on how long it has been going on.
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 12:04 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Is he urinating all the time too? Is this a recent change? How is his energy level? Has he lost weight? If I had these concerns, I'd call my Dr and get him checked-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Define a lot. My little ones drink quite a bit. We do not offer juice even if it is watered down. Do you give him just water? I would lean towards normal but keep track of how much he is drinking and then if it truly is excessive maybe mention it to a doctor.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:06 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would talk to his pedi about it. It could be nothing, but extreme thirst can be a sign of diabetes and that's not something to avoid diagnosing
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Try just giving him water. Also record how much he drinks and how often, then call the peds
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Record the amount he drinks, and the times he drinks and also the times he pees.
    Then call the peds. and talk to a nurse to see if it is unusual. Has he had a virus recently??
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:12 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Is it too warm in your house? His throat could be drying out. Quit the milk and juice for a day or so. Give him just water. See if it slows down. If not, tell his Dr. I agree with Mom2Jack04.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• He is full of energy, he eats normal.. I try avoid giving him salty items , nothing really recently has changed in him.. his dad who is with him all day said to me this boy sure does drink alot and I noticed they had been going through alot of water and juice in the last week. I never really noticed it prior to that however he says he's been drinking alot. I've been trying more to give him just water but he tells me its yucky.. he is going to see his Pedi in about a week or so..hopefully he has an answer for us!
    roxygurlie526

Comment by roxygurlie526 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• He has just gotten over a sinus infection/post nasal drip ... could this be why? he has been sick alot since he started day care..
    roxygurlie526

Comment by roxygurlie526 (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My daughter had the same problem... at first I was like what is going on with her... I took her to the Dr and there was nothing medically wrong with her... he said that some toddlers not All drink this much because of these three reasons 1) Growth Spurt 2) Dehydration (BC they are pretty active) 3) Security ( Feels secure because its constant... if that makes since to you). If it is medical kids are usually thirsty when they have fevers or what not... but sounds to me he has the same problem as my daughter had... it was because she is going through a growth spurt and pretty active!
    lynn.cox22

Answer by lynn.cox22 at 12:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011