Do you think it's possible to be friends with your ex husband?

I still can't stand to look at mine. We communicate about our daughter using text messaging so we don't have to speak to one another.

wishbearmom

Asked by wishbearmom at 12:19 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Relationships

• heeelll no lmfao if my husband talked to his ex wife i would kick his ass lol
    Bree_vee25

Answer by Bree_vee25 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Possible for me? No. Possible for others? Sure. A lot of times I think it depends on why you broke up and whether or not it was mutual.

Answer by missanc at 12:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My son's dad and I (we weren't married but we were together for 3 years up until a year ago) tried recently to be friends - we started talking more often and not just about our son. I ended up moving back in with them, because I wasn't seeing my son anymore (long story) and it was breaking my heart.
    Turns out he was under the impression that we were getting back together, even though I told him several times that wasn't what was happening, and he lost it again when he found out that wasn't the case. We're no longer speaking.
    Might be possible for some, but not for me!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Yep, It sure is. Of course, we've been divorced for over 20 years, and in the early days it wasn't, but it's true that time heals all wounds. We all grew up, myself, my new hubby, my ex, and his new wife. In fact, it got to where, if I had a problem with the kids I needed to discuss with them, I'd call his wife at work. She told me she ended up calling me "my ex-wife", LOL. I wouldn't say they are our best friends in the world, obviously, but we are on very good terms. In fact, his wife and I have talked about trying out for "The Amazing Race." We figured we'd get on just on the novelty of our team name alone "the team of the former wife and the current wife." LOL.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Ya absolutely. Mine and I can be friends sometimes, but sometimes we still fight. Depends on the person.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:27 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• yes it is, but it depends on why/how you broke up. i am friends with a couple of my exes and we both have realized that even though the romantic part didn't work out , we are both good people and we still like a lot of things about each other.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Possible yes, likely no. I think it would have to be a relationship where both people have decided mutually to move on. Usually ending a relationship is more one sided, so it doesn't happen often.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• yea right i wasnt friends with my ex when i was married to him
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Is it possible? Of course, but not for everyone. Is it always easy? Definitely not. My mom and dad had a rough divorce, but they're best friends now and have been most of my life (they divorced when I was 5). They both agree that they just didn't work as a couple, but they're great friends. I don't know many people who are on good terms with an ex-spouse, though. I think the personalities of both parties involved has a lot to do with it. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I was friends with my ex but that was because we were friends before. We became close and took our relationship to the next level. It didn't work out and we stopped talking for about 6 months but then were friends again. Then he did something really stupid while he was living with and dating one of my friends- he slept with my sister while his girlfriend (my friend), and I were in the house.

We haven't spoken in over 2 years.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011