Babysitting rates

I have always been a stay at home mom and have had to recently take on a part time job. I am currently going to be having 2 different people split up the week to babysit my kids. The hours are really only after school from 4-530 and then they are each taking a day out of the week to watch my daughter from 11:15 to 5:30. I asked them what they would like to be paid but they said it would be up to me and that they arent in this to make money but to help me out for the time being. What do you guys think would be a reasonable amount to pay them?

So one mom is taking my kids after school 3 days a week, and then just my daughter for one day out of the week.

The other mom is taking my kids after school for 2 days a week and then just my daughter for the other one day out of the week.

confusing, i know. buti know them well and their kids are friends with my kids so this is who i currently trust unti l i can figure something more permanent and a sitution for summer.

MamaSpurg

Asked by MamaSpurg at 12:28 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Don't know what happened to my computer it posted and I wasn't ready.....I was going to add......
    If it was me babysiting for a friend that I knew and it's the way you described then for a full day I might charge about $35-40 and then nothing for the afternoon since it would only be for an hour and half.
    Also, if I were you I'd definitely bring some kind of snacks to the house for after school snacks since she'll probably give your kids something. Maybe like a package of cookies or some cakes each week. Nothing major but just a little something. Oh and some boxed juices or a container of juice. I'm sure it won't be expected but would be a nice gesture.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 12:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Around here babysitting runs anywhere from $12-15 an hour.
    Jessica45

Answer by Jessica45 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would give either $10 an hr or a flat rate to each mom for each wk. Like the first mom With more days would be $50 or $60 and the second would be $40-$50. Give more if they are having to travel far to you or provide the food. If you are providing food and it's for them to get to you or you are dropping them off then I would stay within the range I gave you. Oh and also if they are taking care of both kids at the same time and ages of the kids matter to. My range is a but on the low end as far as a flat rate. But the hourly rate is good.
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 12:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Around here a full day (8-10hrs)costs about 25 or more. But generally $3 an hour per kid is okay for a babysitter. Just provide their snacks or help out with some food stuff. OR maybe you can do something for them in exchange for babysitting so that there isnt a monetary cost associated with it. Maybe you can babysit their kids so the couples can go out overnight or for a weekend day without the kids. then you don't have to spend extra money.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 2:35 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I do daycare MTW and I charge $3.50/hour for my after school kids. And $3 for full time. It really depends on your area. I know $125 is cheap compared to other places.
    momof2cuteboys

Answer by momof2cuteboys at 1:45 PM on Feb. 10, 2011

• The going rate in my community is about $25/day, which works out to around $3 an hour for an 8-hour day--I think that's an acceptable rate for the afternoons.
    jengray72

Answer by jengray72 at 12:04 AM on Feb. 11, 2011