When you get a babysitter do you expect them to clean?

Just a teen/college age student that you get for a night out. I expect them to pickup the toys and have things put away, but I don't expect vacuuming, mopping, etc. (although my regular babysitter usually does - she's excellent). If they leave all the toys out, I usually don't call them again and if they leave things extra nice I will tip extra for it.

Asked by missanc at 12:31 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I expect my home to look like it did when I left. The sitter we use on our Friday night date nights is wonderful she has the kids pick up their game room before she gets them ready for bed. She rinses and puts the dishes she uses in the dish washer. If something is spilled she cleans it up. She has a good three hours where the kids are sleeping so I don't think it is too much to ask her to make sure she has our home in the same shape it was when we left.
    FricknFrack

Answer by FricknFrack at 12:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If I want someone to clean my house, then I will hire a housekeeper.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It would be nice if they picked up all the toys that they played with. That doesn't happen. As long as the kids were well taken care of then job well done.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Nope. Not at all. That isn't why I hire a sitter or part of the job description I leave for one.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:33 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I've never had a babysitter, but I wouldn't expect one to clean for me. Although, when i was in high school, I always cleaned when I babysat...but I'm a bit of a neat freak. I think it helped me get more jobs too! :)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:36 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If my children were s safe, happy and loved the babysitter that made me happy. I did expect them to clean up any messes that were made while they were there....but nothing else.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If you want the toys picked up - then outline that in the instructions to the sitter. Yes, it is common cutesy, BUT some teen/college kids don't come from home where it was expected that they picked up after themselves.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• No. That is not what I hired her for. She is there to watch the kids not clean my house.
    blueeyes765

Answer by blueeyes765 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I expected if my child was given a snack and made a mess, that it was cleaned up off the floor or the walls or if the babysitter was using my dishes they would be rinsed off. That was pretty much it.
    I always gave these rules up front and never had an issue, but I also paid pretty well $80 for 4 hours at the time and over $100 for over nights...no one ever complained about it, most assumed that was a given anyway - only had one that left a giant spaghetti mess all over my kitchen.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• the only people who have babysat for me are my mom, MIL, grandma & one very close friend.

obviously the first three care a little bit more about the cleanliness of my house than a regular babysitter would, especially my mom. ill come home and find their rooms spotless & picked up. and my mom/mil even take it upon themselves to do my dishes or fold my laundry sometimes. none of this is expected or asked of them but obviously accepted with huge gratitude.

my close friend was also watching her kids so the house was still in chaos when i got back. but i didnt mind, i figured she was doing me a favor and it would be rude of me to ask if the toys could be picked up.

also, they all babysit for free.

now if i ever were to hire a babysitter, i dont think id care much if the toys were still left out. as long as she kept a watchful eye on my children & took care of their needs, she has done her job, imo.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011