Gross. Is there anything I can do?

I live in an apartment complex where we share a washer and dryer. The washer and dryer are right outside the door to my apartment.

Right now a neighbor lady is standing out in the hallway smoking a cigarette and switching loads. I don't smoke and now the smoke smell has strongly seeped into my apartment.

What can I do to get her to stop without a confrontation?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:54 AM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Just politley ask her to not smoke near your door. Tall her you don't smoke and you don't like the smell to venture in to you r home. I hate that!
    mommyx2grls

Answer by mommyx2grls at 10:57 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You never know with people these days, but I would just tell her hon. Just say "Hi, introduce yourself, tell her you hate to be a pest, but her smoke is making it's way into your apartment. Blame it on the pregnancy if you have to and say, that you're not dealing well with the smell since it's something you're not used to and ask if she would pleae refrain from doing it right outside your door. Just be very nice and smile and don't act annoyed at all. Hopefully she's a decent person and will be considerate towards you. Good luck!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 11:03 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• She is smoking outside...this used to be the acceptabler place when smokers still had rights like other americans.. You need to speak to your landlord about the lack of weatherstripping around your door. If smoke in the hallway is getting in so is every cold draft.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• You could always ask management to post a No Smoking sign in the laundry area since the building is not necessarily declared a smoking area and the location of the washer and dryer is now affecting your health. Unless you have a really great building manager the chances of this working are slim but it's something you could at least try if politeness doesn't work.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:15 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• go through the management.........they can issue her a warning or talk to her for you.........then have them post no smoking signs
    Tricia19

Answer by Tricia19 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 17, 2008