Guinea Pigs and Fish

I was thinking about getting a pet for myself and my children. My children are 3.5 years and 22 months. We already have 2 ancient cats. The pets I was considering were a Guinea Pig and a fish. The fish I was considering was eithe a gold fish or a Betta(Siamese fighting ) fish.
My questions are would Guinea Pigs make good pets for my household right now. I know you have to have two. Which fish is better to have? I would probably only have one, unless goldfish are social animals and need "friends". I know Bettas are NOT social.

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 12:38 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pets

• Your cats may not leave the Guinea pig alone.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would go with the fish myself. They are fun to watch and they can still learn to care for them. Guinea pigs tend to bite when they are squeezed by little ones or are not in the mood to be held.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I've had both guinea pigs and bettas, so hopefully I can help! I would get a betta rather than a goldfish. Goldfish are trickier to care for and need more space. Bettas can live in a relatively small container with really minimal care. My son had two over the years, and they each lived about three or four years with really minimal care (toss in food once a day, clean the little tank once every couple of weeks.) But I'm not a huge fan of fish... I don't feel like I get much back.
    We also have two guinea pigs and I really love the pigs. They are very sweet- they are friendly, very social, and cute. They are certainly a lot more work and expense than a fish. The cage needs cleaning a couple times a week, they need a good quality pellet, hay, and fresh veggies/fruit. They get daily play time outside the cage and daily lap time with either me or the kids, or both. But I think they give a lot more back than the fish do!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Con't. You also need to think of how the cats will react- cats may spook the pigs, but you know your cats best. If we need a piggie sitter we leave the girls with my best friend, and she has two cats. One cat totally ignores the pigs, but one of my pigs has made friends with her other cat.. he likes to watch them and they will touch noses through the cage bars and sniff at each other. The fish would probably be easier in that regard- you could get a tank with a lid and that would likely keep the cat out!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I'd say the fish would be good "starter" pets and easier for the cats to ignore. We just allowed my 10 year old to "adopt" a Betta. He's far more attached to that fish than I would have thought possible.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:00 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• For the age of your kids I would start with fish, and maybe if they are good with them for a year I would think about the pigs! I had two when I was like 11...I went and bought the girl I had a companion that they kept telling me was another female and we went through 2 rounds of boys and quite a few babies!! They were super cute and fun though! At the time we had a privacy fence and she played outside with my moms dog all the time!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Guinea pigs will not be good with a cat in the house. They get very nervous and cannot be tamed with a cat in the house. Your kids are a little young for a guinea pig anyway. I would wait on them until about the age of 8 yrs old and no cats in the house. Then you have to get one that does not bite, which is a little difficult! SO hold out until they are older.
    vernalea

Answer by vernalea at 5:57 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Bettas are friendly pets, i use to play games with mine. Bettas are very social, just not when it comes to sharing a mate.

My bettas lived happily with tons of Tetras and Guppies with no problem what so ever.check out these game ideas! http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29822

I went To school to train animals and work in all areas of animnals care, including Star Animals and advocacy, let me know if you need any more help.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:32 PM on Feb. 10, 2011