Do you think it's "wrong" to stay in a group when you no longer do whatever the theme of the group is?

For example, do you think someone should leave a "Pregnancy" or "Breast Feeding" group after they've had their baby or stop breast feeding, etc.? Or do you think they should stay in the group so that they can offer advice to new moms/moms who are new to the theme?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 12:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in About CafeMom

• I think it would be ok to stay and offer up advice :o)
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 12:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't think it's wrong, per se. I do think, however, that you'll reach a point where you find you're not checking in as often and eventually you'll leave.

I've been on CafeMom since it's debut. At the time I had a preschooler and a toddler. Today I have two school aged kids in elementary school. I've long since left the toddler and preschooler groups. I have so little to relate to and, frankly, as time goes by, I have less useful to offer. I forget what was norm. I forget what we did to overcome some struggles. I just poke around the Q&A section from time to time and share what works there.

Do what feels right to you.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:47 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Unless you feel like offering advice you should leave.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 12:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I wouldn't say it's wrong to stay. You've most likely made some friends there. And, you may have some good things to offer current/future members.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:44 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would leave the group.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 12:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I think it's it's up to you -- if you have made friends and want to stay to share advice -- then do so!
    I know longer have a toddler, but I am still interested in those topics and still occassionally contribute.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I agree with ldrmmom.
    I'd also add that my decision would be based in part on how the group owner and admins felt about it and whether they wanted people to leave when it was no longer applicable. If they were very open and welcoming about it, I'd stay as long as I felt I had something to offer. If they prefer people to leave once they are no longer in the circumstance that prompted them to join, then I'd go.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:52 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I don't think you should have to leave, but you shouldn't devote all your time there to trying to derail it onto other topics, either. So in a pregnancy group - stick around and talk to people, but don't start a dozen threads about potty training.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:16 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• i think it is perfectly fine to stay in that group because you can give advice to people that are experiencing what you have and you can support them
    lisaslab

Answer by lisaslab at 3:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I leave groups whenever I feel they don't apply to me anymore. If this is how you feel about these groups, then it is time to leave them.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:01 AM on Feb. 10, 2011