Finger foods for 1st birthday??

For my son's 1st birthday I am doing a cupcake theme party at a local park. I already have all the decorations figured out, the party favors and everything for the cupcake bar!! The only thing I cant seem to figure out is food for the event? It will be the end of July so its going to be hot at the park but they have a water station for the kids to run in!!
I was thinking of starting out with watermellon, water, punch, a big cupcake for the smash cake, cupcakes for the kids to decorate and icecream but from there im clueless!! Please help this momma in need!!

luvbabies3

Asked by luvbabies3 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I suggest getting food platters from the grocery store or making your own - one with cheese, crackers, and meat, another with veggies and dip, and another with fruit. They are always a big hit, and easy for whatever age of kids you have at the party.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It really sounds like you have plenty for the average length party. Are you looking to feed them before cupcakes and ice cream? Cheerios are always a winner for the finger food set. Sliced bananas are another one, just toss in some fresh lemon juice or Fruit Fresh to deep from discoloring. Animal crackers are also a winner. Not to mention you can get a barrel of them for little $.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:48 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I would like to serve lunch/ appitizers beforehand! Is it going to be cheaper for me to make sandwhichs myself then have a store make them?I was also thinking I could make sandwhiches and cut into cupcake shapes. What kind of sandwhiches would you do? My husband wants to bbq but its already going to be so hot??
    luvbabies3

Comment by luvbabies3 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I guess I should have first asked if you're looking for finger foods for the kids or for the adults. LOL. For adults, you can alway prepare sandwiches that are cut into triangles or finger lengths and placed on a platter. Cheese and meat trays are nice. But, might wanna think about it sittingout in the heat. A variety of fresh fruit is alway a good choice. Chips, veggies and dip would make a nice addition to the finger sammies.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:51 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It would definitely be cheaper for you to make them yourself. I would buy a variety of sliced lunch meats...roast beef, turkey/chicken, ham. Then have containers of mayo and mustard on the table so guests can dress their own. You can use cookie cutters to make cute shapes to make it fun. Or, use one of my previous suggestions above.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:55 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Jell-o jigglers are an excellent suggestion, Musicmom!!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 12:56 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• BBQ! That's what hot weather is for. Do some chicken and your LO can easily eat that. Pasta salad is good for a party and the LO can eat it.... as for snacks, my kids LOVE pita chips and hummus... do that with fruit and veggie trays and I'd say you have a party! Possibly chips, salsa and guacamole as well? My babies always LOVED avocado and dipping it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:43 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My daughter's b-day is in August. I had watermelon, ham and cheese tortillas rolled and cut into small pieces,a couple different types of chips, and salsa. I had water and soda for drinks. Cupcakes for the cake.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 2:45 PM on Feb. 9, 2011