Do you use food as a reiforcer?

Today I said to my son to clean up his legos before he can eat his spaghetti. He was picking up the blocks and even singing the "clean up" song. Who knew? Something tells me that this technique will not work forever. LOL

MMXI

Asked by MMXI at 12:58 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I do, but not with healthy food/meals just because my son is stubborn and that doesn't always work. And then I'm either denying him food, which is mean, or I'm going back on what I said, which just lets him know he can walk all over me. I typically have some reward chart set up, currently a 1/2 a kit-kat after dinner. If he does as asked all day then his reward is 2 pieces of a 4 piece kit kat bar after dinner. If not then no candy bar that night. He's 5 now and it works great... when he was younger it was a sticker chart, something more concrete. But if I threatened no dinner every time he wouldn't clean the poor kid would starve to death.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 9, 2011