BIG mistake...

So, I made a post about my daughter throwing a temper tantrum when she goes to sleep at night.

She's 2, and we use to co-sleep...yes, I know, shame on me. So, long story short, last night, I wasn't facing the direction my child wanted me to, and she jumped up...jumped on top of me, kicking and screaming. Scratching me, hitting me, kicking me....

It really took everything in me not to bust her ass, because she really needed it.

I'm talking like 110% shit fit. I get up...she's still attached to me, carry her in her room, put her in the crib. Well, she screamed so loud and for so long that she's lost her voice today.

Tonight, she will sleep in her crib.

I just don't know what to do anymore.

Is this normal behavior? What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait for your daughter to fall sleep and then put her in the crib.
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• tried that. She'll be up until 11PM
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• My daughter is 2 and a half, we had her in her bed, and now she is back in with us. Her dr told us she is probably having night terrors, which is normal for kids her age, but not to let her sleep in our bed. however right now, it is just easier to put her there, even though I know it will be hard later. Have there been any major changes in the household lately? I am about to deploy so i feel that is why my daughter is so clingy. As for her attacking you....I feel it is an eye for an eye, if she bites, I bite back, not hard, but enough to show her it doesn't feel good. flicking also helps too, they get so mad because they can't do it back, but kids need to learn they can't attack when they don't get their way...I hope I helped, you can message me if you want more info on what the dr told us to do, just little things really
    december911

Answer by december911 at 1:05 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• you need super nanny girl lol can you sit in her room with her til she goes to sleep. does she take a nap during the day if so try to cut that out so she'll be more tired when its bed time
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• The more you put her in that crib whenever she gets out of it, the faster she will learn that this is where she needs to be--if you don't want to continue the co-sleeping. It works well for some families and there is nothing wrong with it if it works for you. You're the parent, it's your decision to make.

As for the hitting and scratching, she's is TWO..busting her butt for it will NOT help. She isn't old enough or smart enough at that age to put those two things together. She only knows when you hit her, it hurts HER. Just like biting a biter--spankings really won't work at this age. The best thing to do is let her know that hurt you. Hold her hands firmly and in a very stern voice, with eye contact, tell her that is not proper behavior and she isn't allowed to do that. She isn't too young for time outs--that takes patience too so be prepared.

Good luck!! I hope you find what works for you and your child soon.
    SimplyLaine

Answer by SimplyLaine at 1:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• tried that. She'll be up until 11PM

So after 11pm she will fall sleep how many hours straight?
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 1:08 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• 1st of all, no shame in co-sleeping. DD slept in her bassinet in my room until she grew out of it around 8 mo old, I think, then she came in the bed with me until she turned 2. She would always wake up when I'd try to lay her down in her crib as a younger baby & I'm not afraid to admit I just enjoyed having her in my bed with me, and there ARE safe ways to do it so why not? It's good for baby emotionally & phisiologically and for me, it was just the right thing to do.
    When DD turned 2 we had converted her crib to a toddler bed and made a big deal out of it. We took her out & had her pick out her own sheets & comforter & stuff, she had a BALL. The transition for me was seamless, and she actually PREFERS her bed now. She doesn't even come in my room at night, she'll sit in her bed if she happens to wake up & call for me. :)
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 1:10 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Also, If she throws a fit like that I'd hold her tight & tell her I loved her & you would hold her until she calms down, then talk with her and explain that she's a big girl now & make her crib/bed a "fun" place to be. Make it feel special to her & a place she can call her own. Good luck mama... I'm sorry you're going thru this. Though bedtime is a dream for us, my DD isn't an angel all the time either... our big issue lately is having her understand she can't just throw her toys around & not clean them up. We had MAJOR meltdown for HOURS on Superbowl Sunday over that.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Like, I'm in tears, ladies.

I know she's 2, she also has separation anxiety. If she's not sitting in my lap...looking at me face to face, she goes into these fits. I just can't handle it anymore.

Like now, I'm typing this, she's in the floor. Screaming, or at least trying to. I'm trying to ignore it.

She's really like a fish, flopping around.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• If she has a convertible crib, why not try turning it into a toddler bed, let her pick out new bedding and telling her that BIG girls sleep in their own bed.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:15 PM on Feb. 9, 2011