When shih tzus have puppies do you need to keep the male away from the puppies?

I have been told yes and no. My female shih tzu will be having pupies in about 2 weeks and I am wanting to get things in order for her. Thanks in advance

d_cohoon

Asked by d_cohoon at 1:07 PM on Feb. 9, 2011 in Pets

• I can't answert specfically about the breed. I can tell you we always kept all other dogs away from a bitch that is ready to whelp. Especially in that last week when they become antsy. It is also important to keep small children from her just before and especially just after pups are born. Even a normally docile animal can be fiercely protective.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:11 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thank you. I have a 7 year old and 8 year old daughter and we have told them while the puppies are being born that can't be bothering the mother or the puppies. Also that once they are born, they can play with them until they are 6 weeks old and even then be gentle and only with my help. She has two weeks left but I have been having the kids let her rest and only pet her when she comes up to them barking to be pet. They have been really good with her and at the same time we are making sure the male doesn't feel left out and give him attention to. This week she has started to want to be close to me or my mom and resting a lot. She keeps barking at the male when he comes close to her. I know it is because she is getting ready for the pups. She hasn't gained much weight but I don't think she will. But she has been sleeping a lot lately. This is the first time going through a dog having puppies.
    d_cohoon

Comment by d_cohoon (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Is there anything special I should be doing to get ready. We do have a box for her with blankets and the kids even gave her a heart shape pillow that she lays on.
    d_cohoon

Comment by d_cohoon (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Here is a link that I have sent to people before and they found it hekpful. We raised labs for years and years.

http://www.guideofdogs.com/html/dog_delivery__dog_birth__puppy.html

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:59 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• I used to raise Shihtzus and we always kept the male away, not because of him or because he showed aggression but because the mother showed aggression. It's instinct because with wolves and other wild dogs, the male will kill the pups so the female will go into heat again.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 5:03 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thank you. I was told that before but wasn't for sure. Thanks for letting me know. Is there anything I should do or be aware of before she has the pups? Thanks again.
    d_cohoon

Comment by d_cohoon (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Make sure you have a vet on call in case something goes wrong. Shih Tzus have notoriously hard births and sometimes may require C-Sections.

Have lots of warm towels on hand as well. Scissors, string, alcohol (for cord cutting incase the female won't or can't do it), make sure she has a place to whelp (give birth to) her puppies. A kiddie pool is great for this. Also, make sure you get some puppy milk re-placer in case mom won't or can't feed her pups. In that case, the pups need to be fed every two hours on the hour. The milk needs to be warmed as well. You will need to stimulate the pups to go pee and poop with a warm wet towel.

Then, fix her the female. If you don't know what you are doing, you shouldn't be breeding.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 7:42 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• It depends on the dog. My females share pups and the dad's ignore them til they are old enough to play then they love to play with them. i have never had a male harm a puppy. depends on how the mom reacts to other dogs being around. mine all live together nicely. I want one. my shih tzu is really old.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 8:02 PM on Feb. 9, 2011

• Thanks. We didn't plan on her getting pregnant but a family emergency and forgot to separate them until we got home. I am reading up on them and finding out more. I didn't get her to breed, I got her to get her out of a persons house because she was being abbused and mistreated. My mom actually bought her but we all take care of them. Thanks again.
    d_cohoon

Comment by d_cohoon (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Feb. 9, 2011